Why Bother with Shark Week When You Can Have Them All Year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I don't have cable (despite having programs that air on several cable networks) so I've never actually seen Shark Week. However, the feedback from my friends who have watched it is that it features mainly the fear inducing footage in prime time and educational stuff off prime. If true, this is a real shame.

Why just have a week of sharks with such nonsense when you can have a lifetime of sharks sans any attacks or gore (and I'm not referring to my college classmate Al)? If you hold your breath, in just two months you should be able to buy my new DVD on the Sharks and Rays of Southern California.

This DVD will feature 13 species of sharks and rays found off southern California. It will be educational in nature rather than "sensational." The only blood and gore will be when they gulp down food in front of my camera lens. Although there will indeed be some "munching" footage, unfortunately there will be relatively little "mating" on the DVD... just a few bat rays courting and doing the wild thing.

I'm hoping to sell enough of these DVD's to fund my trip to the Red Sea this winter and possibly South America so I can acquire more footage for future projects. Don't hesitate to get in line early!

DDDB%20123%20guadalupe%20great%20whites%20part%203b-sm.jpg

DDDB%20122%20guadalupe%20great%20whites%20part%202b-sm.jpg

A few stills from the great white segment on the DVD, shot at Guadalupe Island with Guy Harvey.

WOW!! Those are some awesome pictures. Were you in a cage for those shots? When will the DVD be ready, where to buy, and lastly; how much?

A cage? Cages are for sissies... and that's why I was in the other cage. Dr. Guy Harvey was in the cage that you see in one of the pictures with that 18 ft female passing by.

If I stay off ScubaBoard a bit I expect the DVD to be ready by mid-February. I may have several purchase options... a dual DVD set of all 13 species probably about $50, and single DVD's of the sharks and of the rays each at $30. You can buy them off my website.

Good timing for this to resurface. I just finished the first or review version of the segment on the lamnid (mackerel) sharks. It's a pre-release version that I show to local divers and other friends for their feedback. Since the forecast is for lots of rain, I hope to get the second segment done by early next week as well. I'm on schedule.

What an incredible expereince! I cannot wait to do that myself! I will definitely be purchasing your DVD! I definitely got my niece into sharks now! She would love one too! Thank you for all your hard work Dr Bill! Oh Shark week shows more of the bad of sharks then all the good. I no longer watch it until they start showing the truth and the slaughter that is taking place out there!

Happy diving with my beautiful sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

And the timing of your post, lives4sharks, was also very good. I just finished the second episode of the series so 5 of the 13 species are "done" and I'm right on schedule (for a change). I've even had some pre-release sales of the DVD already. I'll keep updating this thread as the project nears completion.

Hey Dr. B. how long are the DVDs? I might be interested too...

Now get back to work !Snaaaap! (Sound of a whip cracking) :rofl3:

This will be a two disc set (one for sharks, one for rays). The total length of the two will be about 2 hours.

Gregorio, I can ship to Europe but of course it is expensive and the videos are only in NTSC format, not PAL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom