Teaching High School Marine Science class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coachpill

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I am a high school science teacher in Jacksonville, Florida. I wondering if any of you had experience or advice on textbooks or curricula that could be used. I know many college professors that do not use any text, per se, and basically design their own courses.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated! Even if you have not taught a class, but have taken a class that you have enjoyed (or hated), I'm sure I could glean something out of it.

I know this might be vague, and might even be in the wrong place...please direct me if this is the case!

Thanks a million!

I ended up writing my own (9-10 of them actually) back in the 60's and 70's since I wanted my classes to use specific examples from our own waters. We also did our labs on SCUBA (half the school dove). Unfortunately I haven't been teaching at high school level in years so I'm not really familiar with what is available out there. My advice is to tie it into the local environment and marine life as much as possible. You only have to thank me 2 cents worth for that, not a million!

Used to live in the Jacksonville Beach area back in 1952-54 or so (Atlantic and Neptune Beaches).

I ended up writing my own (9-10 of them actually) back in the 60's and 70's since I wanted my classes to use specific examples from our own waters. We also did our labs on SCUBA (half the school dove). Unfortunately I haven't been teaching at high school level in years so I'm not really familiar with what is available out there. My advice is to tie it into the local environment and marine life as much as possible. You only have to thank me 2 cents worth for that, not a million!

Used to live in the Jacksonville Beach area back in 1952-54 or so (Atlantic and Neptune Beaches).

Thanks.

I have a class of 8 students. We will be meeting for 4.5 hours per day Monday through Thursday for "classes and labs," and then on Fridays they are getting SCUBA instruction with Saturdays being pool work.

We have 3 weeks of classes scheduled for this summer and 1 week scheduled at the MarineLab in Key Largo (next door to Jules Undersea).

I'm fairly squared away on the SCUBA portion as my wife will be full instructor soon and will be working with a local dive shop as well. We have "sponsors" and such (free/reduced equipment rentals for pool sessions and things like that...) so that is nice.

It should be a fun course...I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep snooping around for stuff!

Whatever you do show them Blue Planet by the great folks at BBC. That will give your students a real good over view on the entire ocean. Also it has great filming. Made me love the ocean even more!!

Whatever you do show them Blue Planet by the great folks at BBC. That will give your students a real good over view on the entire ocean. Also it has great filming. Made me love the ocean even more!!

Sounds like a great idea. Can do.

A friend of mine teaches marine science at a high school and suggested "Introduction to Marine Biology" by Karleskint.

A friend of mine teaches marine science at a high school and suggested "Introduction to Marine Biology" by Karleskint.

Thanks, I think I ordered that text to review already, so I have it on my bookshelf.

Very cool! Thanks for all the advice.

A number of schools from all over the country have ordered my DVD "Return of the Plankton." It is a good overview of critters and how the underwater food web changes with the seasons in the Pacific Northwest cold water.

School Library Journal (November 2005) page 70:
"Narrated by a high school science teacher and the videographer, the outstanding information and beautiful scenery makes for an unusually engaging film...The technical aspects are excellent, the narration is easy to follow, and terms are defined as necessary. What makes this film noteworthy is the supurb photography. Sea plants and animals are clearly shown in their natural habitat, making this underwater world come alive."

The DVD can be ordered from my web site.

If you're adventuresome, you might also take a look at the book, "Build Your Own Underwater Robot," Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen. Numerous high schools have used this for class projects, building inexpensive ROVs that can carry a camera payload. There are even competitions between schools. In our county, the schools have managed to get some volunteer help from the local navy and marine contractors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom