How old is the Giant Clam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick;

I have been looking into a similar subject, so I found this to be fairly interesting as well.

From what I've found, the Giant Clam reaches sexual maturity at about 5-6 years of age.

As far as the lifespan, I've found several references that say they can live up to 100 years, although they don't cite where their data came from.
Additionally, there are about 9 different species of Giant Clam, so each one is a bit different. I am assuming that the species you have is Tridacna gigas.

I will let you know if I find anything else!

I would have to agree with seakdivers. These clams can grow and live for quite a long time. The Tridacna gigas is the largest of the clam family. Some of the more pleasent and colorful clams to look at like the Tridacna maxima, Tridacna squamosa lifes span is much shorter and are more suspectable to collection. Captive breeding of clams have helped a little.

giant clams, just like corals, are thought to be relatively immortal. that is, they can live forever, so long as they are not killed by humans, predators, storms, etc.

the only way to determine the age of a clam is study the shell growth rings. unfortunitely, this requires a dead clam to do so.

captive breeding of clams is primarily done for the asian food markets, though a small percentage of CB clams have hit the aquarium trade. these are, obviously, the best colored of the CB clams.

here is a link to photos of 6 of my 7 giant clams in my aquarium. the only one missing is a newly acquired T. squamosa. i think this T. maxima below is my favorite thus far.

180gClams006.JPG

HTH

henry

What are you using for lighting, I know those clams have to have alot of light.

Caymaniac:)

Henry:

Aquarium web site: http://www.scubastruck.com/aquariums

Scuba web site: http://www.scubastruck.com

The link was in the left hand side under hobbies. :) I used to have 2 T. Squamosa's when I had a 55G Reef lit by (2) 175W MH and (2) 40W NO. The problem is my reef tank now has very little sand bottom area for placement.

On Saturday the 9th we went to visit our friend the giant clam only to be met with a tragic sight: Death of a Giant

We are preparing a report to the authorities with hopes that other clams will not suffer a similar fate.

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom