Diving for Crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone has tips as far as technique and crabbing locations in Puget Sound (Seattle Area), please do post them. The only key info. I've been able to glean from my LDS is to use a GoodyBag with Nylon at the top instead of Mesh, so that they can't crawl back up and out.
Also, it would be great to hook up with someone in the Seattle area who is interested in a "bug hunting" buddy.

Happy Diving,

Rick

I tried it once with two buddies. This is WAY more work than I want on my dives! It was in Hood Canal and we were going for Dungeness. These guys bury themselves in the sand and only their eyes stick out. But they are vigilent! As soon as they spot movement, they burst out of the sand and run like heck! It was more of a coralling method than hunting. Anyway, if you caught one, then you had to measure it. It was difficult to judge size while they were running!

So, if you like to work on your dives, have at it!! Hood Canal is a good place. I was out in front of my Aunt's place so I don't know any good public access hunting grounds.

That was my experience also. When I first started diving 7 years ago, I was excited about all the fresh Dungeness crab I could eat for free! HA! First few times I tried chasing after the buggers in their own environment, I gave it up. I took up u/w photo instead, much more rewarding. However, I have never tried harvesting clams underwater only because I don't know how to go about it. Anybody know how commercial divers harvest them?

Originally posted by sea nmf
I tried it once with two buddies. This is WAY more work than I want on my dives! It was in Hood Canal and we were going for Dungeness. These guys bury themselves in the sand and only their eyes stick out. But they are vigilent! As soon as they spot movement, they burst out of the sand and run like heck! It was more of a coralling method than hunting. Anyway, if you caught one, then you had to measure it. It was difficult to judge size while they were running!

So, if you like to work on your dives, have at it!! Hood Canal is a good place. I was out in front of my Aunt's place so I don't know any good public access hunting grounds.

Just writing an update to this thread I started some time ago. I finally found a buddy that was interested in a crabbing expedition, and I'm happy to report we had a successful outing yesterday. My buddy has some waterfront property on Bainbridge Island, so we just went out his "backyard" to look for the bugs. Until we got down into the 50 - 60 foot range, things were looking fairly discouraging. But once we got below the thermocline at 50 feet, there they were!

Our haul consisted of 5 Red Rock crabs and one Dungeness, and though the Dungeness are highly touted, I really couldn't taste any difference. I think the only significant difference is that Dungeness tend to be bigger.

Technique-wise, for most, we were able to lift them up off of the bottom before they were able to pinch us, and kind of bat them up vertically on their behind until we could scoop them up with the bag. The type of bag, by the way, was crucial! We used a Trident, one hand, spring loaded "Lobster Bag" that has a large opening and was easy to use. I can't imagine being able to get them easily using anything else.

One thing of note, a leaky inflator valve on my wing, in addition to a weak fill from my LDS (only 2,400 psi on my LP 98) plus finning like crazy :loopy: led to less than 30 minutes of bottom time on this dive. Just enough time to nab 6 kritters, which were just enough for dinner for 4.

The killing/cleaning/cooking process wasn't pleasant, but the awesome meal made it worthwhile.

If anyone has thought about bug-hunting, you should try it at least once, we had a blast. I for one, am already planning our next crab-feast. :thumb:

Cheers, :cheers:

GearHead

Maybe it's different in your area, but my family's harvested our own clams for generations... from the beach... without going in the water. Do people really dive for them in the Pacific Northwest?

Greg G. once bubbled...
However, I have never tried harvesting clams underwater only because I don't know how to go about it. Anybody know how commercial divers harvest them?

Greg G. once bubbled...
However, I have never tried harvesting clams underwater only because I don't know how to go about it.

How can you possibly catch a clam without a can of beer in one hand? I think that was illegal in the northeast.

Like Pellizarri's deco-stop champaigne party. Why didn't I think of that?

You aren't going to look at me funny if I show up with a six pack and a rake tomorrow, are you?:tease:

Down on the Chesapeake all we use to catch them is a long piece of string, a long handled net and a chicken neck for bait. Cold beer does help the process along too.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom