Dive with Mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
Has anyone ever dove with a mirror to instigate fish behavior. I am watching a show on the science channel, and the divers had a 1' x 1' mirror with them. They found a 14" male cuttlefish, and showed the cuttlefish it's reflection (they looked to be in about 30fsw in indonesia). The cuttlefish treated the mirror as another big male, and flashed colors, then attacked the mirror.

Actually the more I think about it, it could be dangerous if you didn't already know the animal behavior patterns. You don't want to be on the marine edition of "when animals attack".

Just wondering if anyone has done this, or seen it done.

btw, if anyone really likes octopi they may want to watch for this show (titled the Mimic Octopus episode of Science of the Deep on the Science Channel)

RJ

California Diving News (CDN) just had an article on "entertaining" oneself by placing mirrors in front of territortial fish. Personally I find that kind of intrusive and disruptive interaction to be contrary to the reasons I dive. Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Bill

I have heard of diving with a small metal backpacking mirror to check your first stage for bubble leaks underwater.

I have never heard of instigating fish behavior with a mirror.

Isn't it better just to leave the fish alone, and enjoy watching them in their natural habitat?

OK, Now I feel stupid, I had never seen this on the board, so I wrote the post. Then scrolled down and saw the thread on the CDN article.

Really, this wasn't a troll. 'nuf said in other thread, no need to jump on this one too.l

RJ

Back
Top Bottom