Coral Spawn Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
May i get opinions or prediction on the season for hard coral spawning , south east asia region, particularly around Anilao batangas, Philippines ?

paolov

Synchronous coral spawning for hermatypics takes place in mid-late summer months. There are no exact dates except for the Flower Garden Banks in the Gulf of Mexico, which can for some odd reason be predicted to the day. It is very likely that you will need to contact your local dive shop for specific information on the area you plan on diving. They can probably nail it down within a couple weeks.
Keep in mind that except at the Flower Garden Banks, "full-out" synchronous spawning should not occur. Some corals do it one night, others might be a week or month later, blah blah blah. Water temperature, weather, chemical cues, and even moon phases regulate these events.

In East Timor we caught the beginning of a major spawn on November 13 of last year. Here are some photos that we took that night:

East Timor Coral Spawning

Another spawning occured around 12-13 April but we only caught the very tail end, as evidenced by a few remaining eggs on some staghorn coral (Acropora sp?).

The spawning event has become the "Holy Grail" for a few avid divers here in Timor.

Good luck catching it!!

just beautiful, calypsonick! thank you for sharing

Well, I 'll hope for this weekend.... I wish to catching it ... then i'll tell board forum.
Ok, I have a question, Its posible to take any picture if the spawning occured very fast? and which lenses do you recomend for to take the pictures in this moment?
Thanks and regards,
Valentina

calypsonick:
In East Timor we caught the beginning of a major spawn on November 13 of last year. Here are some photos that we took that night:

East Timor Coral Spawning

Another spawning occured around 12-13 April but we only caught the very tail end, as evidenced by a few remaining eggs on some staghorn coral (Acropora sp?).

The spawning event has become the "Holy Grail" for a few avid divers here in Timor.

Good luck catching it!!

I've seen the coral spawing in Bonaire. It usually happens a few days before the Harvest Moon in September. I have friends that are there now, and hope to see it again.
It happens this same time every year there. So much so, thaat they told me they have advertised it as 'Sex on the Beach', so poeple would come down and see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom