Another freshwater fish I.D. website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While I was searching for pictures of Rainbow Trout that distinguished between the males and females I found the Master Index of Freshwater Fishes. It lists fish by their common and scientific names and had quite a few pictures including a good one of a spawing pair of Rainbow Trout. Some of the pictures are drawings, some are live photos and others are photos of fish that have been caught (for scientific study apparently).

The Index was a little intimidating, it was hard to find the common names at first but everything is in alphabetical order. The names with the little fish icon beside them are the ones with pictures, you just click on the icon. The fish icons seemed to be beside scientific names only. Find the common name then the site directs you to the scientific name with a link then you can click on the fishy!

Some of the pictures had a description in a box below them that told if the fish was male or female, juvenile, etc.

Just thought I'd share!
Ber :lilbunny:

Ugh, this site made me ill. After clicking on a few of the fish icons I started looking at the URL's and got quite irritated. It seems the photos merely link into FishBase, which is a much better database and online resource by far. Go directly there instead for all your fish needs.

http://www.fishbase.org/search.cfm

Archman,
Nice site! I'm not computer savvy enough to pay attention to things like URL's :D I just go where Google takes me and use the info I find.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom