What the heck is wrong with the authorities in FL!!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A friend of mine with a great big boat 44' decided to winter in FL this winter and volunteer for lionfish eradication. He thought that he could take a group of divers out and make a difference. Here's what he emailed:

Well Floriduhh has done it again! …
We filed our applications at Pennekamp and spoke with the Florida Park coordinator. They said that we don’t allow people residing on boats to volunteer at the park. I asked why and she could not give me any reason.. it’s in their rules! Dude, there are 10 moorings here in the park since we’ve been here only 2 have been occupied and that includes us. The campground is totally filled with everything from rusted out camper vans to fancy painted up mega buses with trailers with motorcycles and towable motorboats. The area is pretty trashy. We use no electricity and are away from the noise and not driving vehicles around the park (also, our boat looks really cool hahaha seriously we are always getting compliments from the park kayak guides . The other boat out here is a young family living aboard a small 34ft catamaran (a somewhat new boat 2012 Gemini)

This guy and his wife are a couple of very talented and caring people that want to help. So I ask again WHAT THE F IS WRONG WITH THESE A_HOLES?!!

Last edited:
If its like over here in Aussie, they are terrified of being sued.. - insurance is the new fun police by a long long way.

If its like over here in Aussie, they are terrified of being sued.. - insurance is the new fun police by a long long way.

It's been like that here for decades now. I blame the judges for not throwing cases out that shouldn't be heard because of the absurdity of their nature.

In the USA someone that breaks into a house and gets hurt in the process can sue the homeowner! A mans castle what BS!

It's been like that here for decades now. I blame the judges for not throwing cases out that shouldn't be heard because of the absurdity of their nature.!

agree totally... but sadly AU follows USA in many things - this is where the problem started.. .theres more lawyers here who are desperate to make a $ so the easiest thing is litigation... there are TV ads galore on 'did you get hurt at work' and crap like that... $2,000,000 for a broken hand? FFS, I lost much use of an arm and a leg and didn't get 1/2 that.

Any type of fishing within the park is verboten. Live collection of lionfish is allowed if you take a special class and receive their training and become "certified" - they are extremely worried about over zealous hunters (or in this case collectors) damaging the reef flailing paralyzer tips. A few of the dive operators have the heavy plastic collection bags and will cull on occasion (if a certified person is diving) bu,t for the most part, the reefs are fairly clean. I'm with you though - I try and get everyone I see and it pains me to be restricted. They certainly are a pretty fish but much prettier with wasbai and soy in my book

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom