Florida marine life feeding ban update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just spoke with one of the individuals who has filed suit against the state in order to overturn the shark feeding ban. It was filed on the grounds of fairness (or the lack thereof). The contention of the suit is that the law prohibits feeding of all marine life by divers for the purposes of sighseeing while allowing it for the "harvesting" of the same. (Harvesting- PC term for killing?) The state says the ban is there to prevent altering the behavior of the animals (which they claim is harmful to the animal) The plaintiffs want to know why killing the animals isn't considered harmful.

The suit was filed in early December with a court date that was the 9th of Jan. The state asked for and got an extension until the end of January. More news as it comes available...

According to Mr. John Stewart from DEMA on Scuba Radio January 5, '02, the attorneys for the FFWCC have filed a motion for dismissal based on the grounds that their rules are ”tantamount to a legislative act” carrying the power of legislation and the court may not substitute its judgment for that of the legislature. A new hearing date is set for January 28th.

To hear it for yourself go to:

http://www.scubaradio.com/scuba.htm

click on Archives and follow the new windows’ instructions.

I missed most of yesterday’s show and will have to wait till they post the audio file for any other updates.

Rather be diving,

njdiver1

Back
Top Bottom