Jelly Fish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atownscubaman

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to the bahamas this summer and i have heard many stories about babie jelly fish stings.....is this true?

write me back

Well, Sure But You Are Superman, Right?

Most dive sites in the world you'll encounter jelly fish in some form or other so they're kinda hard to avoid.

The good news is the majority of your dives will probably be jelly fish free, or at least sting free

What you can do to protect yourself is to wear a full suit, people in shorites tend to get more stings.

You can also try Safe Sea, http://www.nidaria.com/main_safesea.html, which helps protect against most jellyfish but it hasn't been tested on the box jelly fish or Portugese man o' war....mainly because they use humans for testing.

Certain times of year are worse than others or better if you're like me and like to see jellyfish.

During daytime dives you can easily avoid them as they are quite visible. At night things can be different. Remember that jellies will generally be near the surface not along the reef bottom. One helpful hint I was given years ago can help.

When surfacing and you notice a lot of jelly fish just purge your octopus over your head. It should clear the jellies allowing you an easy and stingless entry to the dive ladder. I've used this trick and it has worked well. On night dives during jelly season just do this whether you see jellies or not.

This past weekend I purposefully dove a site in Massachusetts to find jellies, Lion's Mane jellies to be specific. I found dozens of juvenile ones. Some only an inch or so wide and others over six inches wide with one to two foot tentacles. As adults they can grow to eight feet wide with 200 foot tentacles in the Arctic region. They are the world's largest jellyfish. In Nova Scotia I encountered two foot wide specimens with tentacles over twenty feet long.

Don't worry about the jellies in the Bahamas too much.

DSDO

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom