Whale Recovers from Shark Bites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Beached Whale Recovers From Shark Attack

HOUSTON - A whale that beached along the Texas Gulf coast, covered in shark bites and unable to swim, is recovering in an above-ground pool and eating about 30 pounds of fish and squid a day, rescuers said.

The 8-foot-long, 310-pound melon-headed whale, named Memory for the Memorial Day weekend when it was found, could spend up to three months in recovery before being returned to the wild.

Melon-headed whales are deep-water creatures, rarely seen alone or near the Gulf coastline, and marine biologists were trying to determine what caused Memory to end up at High Island.

"There is something that brought her to the beach. To have them come in alive is rare," Tammy Renaud of the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network told the Houston Chronicle in Thursday's editions.

The volunteer group rescued Memory within two hours, and it was taken to the National Marine Fisheries Service's Galveston laboratory.

Blood tests are being performed to determine whether the whale had a virus or other illness.

H2Andy:
...The 8-foot-long, 310-pound melon-headed whale, named Memory...

OK.

I could do about 10 minutes ALONE on those 11 words above.

MELON-HEAD named Memory.... MEMORY??!! Are you kidding me? Crimany. Memory. That is awesome.

I understand that whale's dome has it's own weather system. It's a virtual Planetoid.

Sometimes, its just too easy.

We have a piper down. A piper is down.

k

I see your a fan of "I Married an Axe Murderer" LMAO
(Sorry for the thread hijack)

Bob3:
Poor sharks ... first they pass a law in FL that ya can't feed them, and now we're stealing their food! :eyebrow:
Sounds more like they had their fill and left the buffet than stealing!

I'm with Andy though, Whales over Sharks.

Yes, whales over sharks, but we overfish, thus stealing sharks food and leaving them to eat what's left—starving whales.

H2Andy:
310-pound melon-headed whale,

To have them come in alive is rare," .

Ptooooey........ we have about 50,000 of them lying on the beach in Cancun right now

cancun mark:
Ptooooey........ we have about 50,000 of them lying on the beach in Cancun right now

They're migrating to So Cal... egad.

K

downunderjenn:
Yes, whales over sharks, but we overfish, thus stealing sharks food and leaving them to eat what's left—starving whales.
Not totally true, there are plenty of shark dives that are more than happy to feed them!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom