ID this fish please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. That is an African Pompano. Good luck on getting that close to a skipjack tuna. bubble, bubble, bubble. I'm not sure what that spearo is holding. It looks like a pompano but the color is wrong. Might be my old computer monitor, it is getting weak.

rocdiver:
It is indeed a skip jack...

LOL, in the South and other parts, any fish which has a streamlined body is called a 'skipjack'. This include False Albacore (tuny), black tuna, bar jacks, blue runners, Cerro Mackeral and what have you. It's just noise. Spearos have to know their fish. To do less implies lack of respect for those you seek to kill and could come back to haunt you.

So, young spearos, if you want to shine among your peers, and to show up the string fishermen (duh) , keep learning. Fish ID may not be important among the general diver population but seeing others ask the questions is encouraging to this old timer.
Pesky

DennisW:
The second URL leads you to a description of a Bar Jack. I have never heard of a Skip Jack. However, there is a Skipjack Tuna.

Can't get much more Southern than me. Raised in Ft. Myers, FL, my mother was an 8th generation Floridian, a real Cracker. My mother's family pioneered Florida, settling there in the 1830's. I still never heard of a Jack that was called a Skip Jack. Yellow Jack, Crevalle Jack, Pompano, Horseye Jack, Bar Jack, etc. But never a Skip Jack. I personally think correct fish ID is important. For everyone, line fisherpersons and spear fisherpersons alike.

Fisherpersons? Haw, haw. You made my day.

I thought you might get a kick out of that. I originally wrote, fishermen and spear fishermen, but then I thought about my wife editing a technical document for me (she is an Electrical Engineer, with a PhD and she is an Associate Professor at an Aviation School). She changed every he to he/she and him to him/her, etc. She was right of course, so, I couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom