Protect the reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HI!
There's a new idea out to help protect the reefs. I'm hoping this is a good place to pass on the info.
If we try to make a new underwater dive signal to show divers they are hitting the reef with their fins and do not know it, this could help with reef/coral damage.
Instead of giving the middle finger (ha!) give the middle finger and pointer finger to make a peace sign.
Peace to our reefs, so we will have them to dive in the future, and so will our children and grandchildren. Good idea?
:sunny:

I usually use one that involves pulling out an oversized, lazer sharpened knife and a simple point in the groin vicinity. Once I have their attention... and believe me I do get their attention, I can pull out my slate and say something like, how would you like for me to be as careless with this knife, as you are with your fins? Works every time!

I got a dive buddy once with a very poor buoyancy control. He kept bouncing from the reef to somewhere 5 meters above the reefs. He's obese and wore lots of weights. :eek: he kept breaking the reef, but he's much bigger than I that I couldn't lift him up or drag him down. The only way to keep him from breaking the reef is to forbid him to dive and that wouldn't do in a live aboard trip. Good thing he dived only twice a day.

Ray

I have yet to meet the reef kicker that was doing it on purpose. What I do (with my students I check even if I haven't seen 'em kick anything, and show them how to check for themselves) is check the fins of the offending kicker, and show 'em the slime they've picked up from the living coral. After they get a feel of the living tissue they've ripped from the reef, they get careful quick.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom