Leafy sea dragon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there, anyone seen or photograph a leafy sea dragon when diving?? pls share with me the dive site, date & time, photograph (if any)....thanks so much..

I’ve only ever found the weedy/common Phyllopteryx taeniolatus Seadragon at Blue Fish Point (approx. depth 7.5-8msw, at 11.15 am on 17/08/01) and The Gap (at around noon on 18/08/01) near Sydney, Australia. I was diving from MV Sea Life V (dive shop: Pro-Dive, Sydney City) and was told by some divers on board that the Leafy Seadragon Phycodurus eques could also be found in the area.

Vie:
I’ve only ever found the weedy/common Phyllopteryx taeniolatus variety at Blue Fish Point (approx. depth 7.5-8msw, at 11.15 am on 17/08/01) and The Gap (at around noon on 18/08/01) near Sydney, Australia. I was told that the Leafy kind could also be found in the area.

Hi, just quick info, the Weedy or what we call it here on down under is Sea Weedy Dragon (or other scientific name) is found in Sydney, Victoria, South Australia & Tasmania area, they we're beautiful creature. They usually been spotted during Winter time in sydney, where the best time to dive in sydney, much better vis & fish.
The Leafy Dragon only been seen in South Australia either in Kangaroo Island or Rapid bay Jetty. Both we're awesome creature, see the Weedy Dragon first and then compare it with The Leafy, you will amaze with it..LOL.. :dazzler1:

Bon
ps : pop me quick e-mail will send you couple pic that i take from my last travel to South Australia (Adelaide) included Weedy that always been spoted & I dive with in sydney.

bondasik:
The Leafy Dragon only been seen in South Australia either in Kangaroo Island or Rapid bay Jetty.
Not sure if I've read your post wrong, but the leafy sea dragon's distribution is not limited to these two areas.

Haven't seen one in Melbourne yet (not for lack of trying - they're here, but rare), hundreds of weedies though (lost count at about 60 on the last dive under Flinders Pier).

Scubaroo:
Not sure if I've read your post wrong, but the leafy sea dragon's distribution is not limited to these two areas.

Haven't seen one in Melbourne yet (not for lack of trying - they're here, but rare), hundreds of weedies though (lost count at about 60 on the last dive under Flinders Pier).

Doo :11ztongue , mate easy spotting for Leafy it is only for those place, Kangaroo Island & Rapid Bay Jetty (For Tourist Point of View), if it spotted in Victoria that would be a plus for the dive industry there!!, I won’t mind Traveling to Melbourne just to see the beauty creature EVER, without flying to Adelaide just to see one..lol.. And the reason I’m going to Adelaide just to see the Leafy not the HMAS Hobart (Done it, seen it..LOL..) The wreck will be still there, but you can’t tell for the Leafy, same thing with the Kelp in Tasmania will be gone (So disappointed with it, my last trip there on June try to find one no luck, Why God Why ?? :banghead: ).

You mean this fellow...
Unfortunately I didn't take this in the wild, but at the Gatlinburg Aquarium in Tennessee.
Rick

According to Rudy H. Kuiter, the Leafy Seadragon Phycodurus eques is “common in South Australia (the State) and southern part of Western Australia, with sporadic occurrences in Southern Victoria and the southern west-coast of Western Australia, rarely seen north of Perth.” A red (deep-water colouration) form has been reported by fishermen and was photographed by Kuiter at Victor Harbour, South Australia, at 30m.

Rick Murchison:
You mean this fellow...
Unfortunately I didn't take this in the wild, but at the Gatlinburg Aquarium in Tennessee.
Rick

Yup that it,, :dazzler1:
Just like this one too,,taken on Rapid Bay Jetty at Nigh dive, Deep 7-9 Meter, Amazing Creature aren't they ????Have the other clear shot tooo...

Portsea Pier in Port Phillip Bay south of Melbourne is supposed to be one of the best spots to see them near Melbourne. Have only dived the nearby reef though.

Scubaroo:
Portsea Pier in Port Phillip Bay south of Melbourne is supposed to be one of the best spots to see them near Melbourne. Have only dived the nearby reef though.

Don't get me wrong mate, even you not sure, as you said before on your first posts, that is verry rare to seen Lefy in Melbourne, I'm not gonna waste my time & money to go there if my chance to see the Lefy is slight to non. I've seen some adver on the Divelog, they even offer money back guarante if you don't spot one in South Australia. Will you recomende one that does in Melbourne ?? I got 2 weeks off this Feb, will travel there using the $9.00 Fligh from the Airline Price war..lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom