Invasion of the Spider Crabs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow... cool video

my (uneducated) guess is it's some sort of mating gathering

Last weekend I did a night dive on Rye Pier in Port Phillip Bay (Melbourne), and the crabs were everywhere. Directly underneath the pier was a freakin' crab carpet. Very impressive and very unnerving at the same time - I think there may be a movie in this somewhere.

Apparently they are stacking themselves up to about 3 feet thick and covering an area the size of a football field. Cool huh?

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have about 10,000 lbs. of butter shipped to Australia?

H2Andy:
wow... cool video

my (uneducated) guess is it's some sort of mating gathering

Too easy - must let it go. Too easy, must let it go... :wink:

Whew. I almost went into joke meltdown. The inner conflict between Andy's uneducated mating and crabs stacked 3 feet thick was just too much. The smoke was pouring out of my ears and my bottom lip has been essentially bit through.

Stop it with these posts...

---
Ken

This story is just about to play on the Los Angeles KNBC 6:00pm news. Will have to catch it.

Locally our main spider crab, the sheep crab, will come into the shallows in numbers during the spring to mate. There may be seasons where they are abundant and seasons where they are rare. Perhaps there is some environmental or other trigger that has caused the crabs to congregate in such high densities.

Man (and woman)... WHAT an orgy!!!

Dr. Bill

I think there is a movie like this thats been out since the late 80's or 90's. Crab invasion on land. Where is it that thousands of crabs migrate over land? Probably australia, anyway the movie uses actual footage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom