Awsome Humboldt Squid Video Link!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonetobaja

Reaction score
Fellow Scubaboard.com members.

Our team, Sea Wolves Unlimited has been doing alot of filming in the Sea of Cortez to produce documentarys. I wanted everyone to sea what it looks like to dive with the Giant Humboldt Squid. It is impossible to describe in words what it looks like to have 4 and 5 ft squid fly past you in formation while flashing their strange squid color change language. We where on cables and got some great footage. This clip was edited by Scott Cassell.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://209.242.151.5/seawolves/DancingWithDemons.wmv

If anyone wants to go diving let me know......

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

That was Awesome!
But it bothers me to see that you may have been bothering the squid , what is it that you were doing with them ?

DB

Wow, the Pirates of the Caribbean score worked out quite well with the cinematography.

Now we have another use for chain mail!

D B

The squid are quite curious. They will come up and grab hold of you and there are two ways to deal with it. One way (my way) is to kick or punch the animal so he lets you go. I do not stab them with a knife or any such type of a thing. The reason that they ink all over is when they grab Scott, he grabs them back. He grasps them by the mantle and then shakes his arms or legs untill they let go. Much more gentle than my approach. However when you grab one and it feels imobalized for more than a couple of second they will shoot ink. Sometimes they will swim up to you flash and then shoot ink and then turn around and grab you.

We where filming close ups of the parts of the living animals in Hi-Def. Some of the footage will go to the University of Baja CA at Ensenada along with the reletive info (depth, temp, how many times I got stung in the face by jellys, etc...) Other parts are going to be used in a documentary including footage of a 6ft plus humboldt pack hitting Scott over and over again. I believe we are the only ones with this type of footage. We also got close up footage of the cromataphors (sp?) flashing right into the lens.

Even though we where grabbed on pretty much every dive we never allowed our dive to make a circumstance where we where in danger from squid or that a squid could be killed by us.

We dove in the middle of the day to get the real behavior instead of at night when the frenzys occour because of fishermen.

Humboldt Squid will grab you, in the middle of the day at 50 feet. With no fishemen or other boats around. Watch on the clip as the squid comes in and grabs the divers fin. Totaly un-provoked or baited.

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

Wow , scary and cool at the same time
Would the squid let go of you if given enough time or not? hmmm , what if you weren't wearing chain mail :11: what if a regular diver found himself in those conditions , does it merit a "get out of the water-great white fast" exit , lol

Thanks for sharing this with us :14:

DB

D B,

I honestly believe that if I where to hold still and let the squid bite me than it would. I think we could get by with no chain mail, however you will have to be quick on the punch. If you dive in groups of divers they seem to let go faster. I think an ordinary diver would be able to do this dive if given the right instruction. Also a dive buddy can help if you get grabbed. I would get out of the water in the areas that we go if I where to see big squid and had no saftey cable. I feel like a space man when I get to drift in the blue water. When they grab you there is the possiblity that they will "grab and run" and try and pull you away from the other squid. Like a seagull flys away from the others when he gets a snack. Your chances of a squid grabbing you and pulling you down are better than getting bit by one.

I never dive in the area without a cable. But with my cable Im not scared.

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

I take it you are tethered to that cable ...
"... grab and run ... Like a seagull flys away from the others when he gets a snack ... Your chances of a squid grabbing you and pulling you down are better than getting bit by one"
... that cable sounds like a very good idea

As I said ... Scary Cool

DB

Thanks for posting a video and even more for additional info. Now remember folks - don't do this at home. It sure looks scary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom