Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins are sentient beings

Rebreather Pilot

Still kicking and
    finding stuff

Photos

Dolphins are sentient beings

There have been numerous posts regarding the intelligence of dolphins. Listen to this account from a recent Larry King interview. Dolphins come to the aid of the surfer.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Additionally, the same page features the latest between the AUSSIES and Japanese regarding the Antarctic hunt. Go Australia !!!!

X
    "Skuba Istruttore"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Wow - I had read about this..but hearing it from his point of view is pretty mind blowing to say the least..? Hits close to home as I dive in Monterey often!

Thanks for posting this X!
    Tea Parties are for little girls!

Rebreather Pilot

Still kicking and
    finding stuff

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
    Wow - I had read about this..but hearing it from his point of view is pretty mind blowing to say the least..? Hits close to home as I dive in Monterey often!

Thanks for posting this X!

My pleasure. I dove Monterey (as a kid) a day after Jaws debuted on the big screen. I was looking around the kelp to see if I was going to get chomped. It was a serendipitous event having dolphins around. Then again, the dolphins may have been keeping an eye on the surfers. Remarkable.

Additionally, I posted this piece to remind environmentally conscious folks that the Japanese whaling fleet is fast approaching their target destination(s) in the Antarctic sanctuary. Accompanying them will be the boats from Sea Shepherds and Greenpeace. Also, the AUSSIES have joined in by sending a boat to observe.

Bloomberg.com: Australia & New Zealand

In all, the Japanese fishing industry and supportive government are fools fishing under the banner of sovereignty.

X
    "Skuba Istruttore"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

While we are on the subject of dolphins...its sad that some species are going extinct:

News review 2007: Extinction of a dolphin - life - 22 December 2007 - New Scientist

However there still is time to save the ones that are really threatened.

Lock Washer

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I agree... too bad some people aren't sentient!
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    I am an acquaintance if not a friend of the guy that was attacked (Todd) and it is still extremely strange to see him on all these shows and articles, he is definitely using a negative to his benefit however so good for him. As for the dolphins, all I will say is (and I only bring it up because of 4 years of marine mammal experience) -- take it with a grain of salt.
    Pictures Taken With Canon SD630 and WP-DC3 Housing: http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo35/ScubaColl/

---One day I hope to be the great guy that my dog thinks I am.---

---Blessed is he who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.---

Registered

Commercial, Military, &
    Public Safety Dive Gear Sales

Photos
    The USN had a [classified] program back in the '60s - '70s to train dolphins to attack & kill humans - mostly for use in VN.
    The job of "training" them was so difficult that the program was later modified, current details of which I don't have [still classified]. (They're still using dolphins is some areas.)
    The old program required hard-wiring the dolphin's brain with electrodes so the "rage" area could be lit up; they'd go after anything in the water.
    Dolphins with morals, that is almost indicative of sentience.
    As Dr Bill said, too bad some people aren't sentient!
    Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
    Si Tech Valves & DryGlove Ring Systems
    Viking DryGlove Ring Kits
    Drysuit Repair Parts & Glues, PB-300

Rebreather Pilot

Still kicking and
    finding stuff

Photos
    Latest news on the whaling front:

Japan halts humpback whale hunt - CNN.com

Japan understands (partially) that the world does not support whaling. It will halt Humpback catches. Now it's a matter of getting them to stop their planned Fin and Minke harvests. I am positive that the recent moves by the AUSSIE's have made members of the Japanese Parliament take greater notice.

X
    Last edited by Mr.X; December 21st, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
    "Skuba Istruttore"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Japan halts humpback whale hunt - CNN.com

Small victory for the whales but a victory all the same!!
    :wave-smil
    Terri

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Great news on the end of the humpback hunt. Hope it will soon extend to other species.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast