Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Teaching High School Marine Science class

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Teaching High School Marine Science class

Hello!

I am a high school science teacher in Jacksonville, Florida. I wondering if any of you had experience or advice on textbooks or curricula that could be used. I know many college professors that do not use any text, per se, and basically design their own courses.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated! Even if you have not taught a class, but have taken a class that you have enjoyed (or hated), I'm sure I could glean something out of it.

I know this might be vague, and might even be in the wrong place...please direct me if this is the case!

Thanks a million!
    ginozzotio likes this.
    Pill
    Jacksonville, FL

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I ended up writing my own (9-10 of them actually) back in the 60's and 70's since I wanted my classes to use specific examples from our own waters. We also did our labs on SCUBA (half the school dove). Unfortunately I haven't been teaching at high school level in years so I'm not really familiar with what is available out there. My advice is to tie it into the local environment and marine life as much as possible. You only have to thank me 2 cents worth for that, not a million!

Used to live in the Jacksonville Beach area back in 1952-54 or so (Atlantic and Neptune Beaches).
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    I ended up writing my own (9-10 of them actually) back in the 60's and 70's since I wanted my classes to use specific examples from our own waters. We also did our labs on SCUBA (half the school dove). Unfortunately I haven't been teaching at high school level in years so I'm not really familiar with what is available out there. My advice is to tie it into the local environment and marine life as much as possible. You only have to thank me 2 cents worth for that, not a million!

Used to live in the Jacksonville Beach area back in 1952-54 or so (Atlantic and Neptune Beaches).
    Thanks.

I have a class of 8 students. We will be meeting for 4.5 hours per day Monday through Thursday for "classes and labs," and then on Fridays they are getting SCUBA instruction with Saturdays being pool work.

We have 3 weeks of classes scheduled for this summer and 1 week scheduled at the MarineLab in Key Largo (next door to Jules Undersea).

I'm fairly squared away on the SCUBA portion as my wife will be full instructor soon and will be working with a local dive shop as well. We have "sponsors" and such (free/reduced equipment rentals for pool sessions and things like that...) so that is nice.

It should be a fun course...I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep snooping around for stuff!
    Pill
    Jacksonville, FL

Defender!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Introduction to Worlds Oceans is a good basic text book for oceanography

Introduction to the Worlds Oceans Information Center:

Fundamentals of Oceanography gets into the science more.

Duxbury/Fundamentals of Oceanography, 4th ed
    It took me years at sea to realize, it wasn't the ocean I liked, it was the coast.

" Breathe in, Breathe out, move on " J Buffet

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Introduction to Worlds Oceans is a good basic text book for oceanography

Introduction to the Worlds Oceans Information Center:

Fundamentals of Oceanography gets into the science more.

Duxbury/Fundamentals of Oceanography, 4th ed
    Thanks! I will check them both out!
    Pill
    Jacksonville, FL

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Whatever you do show them Blue Planet by the great folks at BBC. That will give your students a real good over view on the entire ocean. Also it has great filming. Made me love the ocean even more!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by Stained91109 View Post
    Whatever you do show them Blue Planet by the great folks at BBC. That will give your students a real good over view on the entire ocean. Also it has great filming. Made me love the ocean even more!!
    Sounds like a great idea. Can do.
    Pill
    Jacksonville, FL

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    A friend of mine teaches marine science at a high school and suggested "Introduction to Marine Biology" by Karleskint.

Nancy
    http://www.sealifeid.com
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.· ´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceandvr View Post
    A friend of mine teaches marine science at a high school and suggested "Introduction to Marine Biology" by Karleskint.
    Thanks, I think I ordered that text to review already, so I have it on my bookshelf.

Very cool! Thanks for all the advice.
    Pill
    Jacksonville, FL

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    A number of schools from all over the country have ordered my DVD "Return of the Plankton." It is a good overview of critters and how the underwater food web changes with the seasons in the Pacific Northwest cold water.

School Library Journal (November 2005) page 70:
    "Narrated by a high school science teacher and the videographer, the outstanding information and beautiful scenery makes for an unusually engaging film...The technical aspects are excellent, the narration is easy to follow, and terms are defined as necessary. What makes this film noteworthy is the supurb photography. Sea plants and animals are clearly shown in their natural habitat, making this underwater world come alive."

The DVD can be ordered from my web site.

If you're adventuresome, you might also take a look at the book, "Build Your Own Underwater Robot," Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen. Numerous high schools have used this for class projects, building inexpensive ROVs that can carry a camera payload. There are even competitions between schools. In our county, the schools have managed to get some volunteer help from the local navy and marine contractors.
    John F. Williams
    http://SEA-Inside.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast