Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stingray behavior?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos

Stingray behavior?

I was in Corolla, NC (Outer Banks) over the past week and saw something that I have never seen before. I live in PA now, but lived in Fla for a large portion of my life and cant believe that I have never seen this before.

I saw stingrays jumping out of the water a good couple feet. Some were doing it through the waves and others were just jumping out during the calmer days.

Is this playful behavior?
    Are they escaping predators?
    Feeding?

Any info is appreciated, I will try to do a google search on this, but thought I would raise the question here as well.

Thanks,

Dan

~“The Law of Reality”Never get into fights with ugly people, they have nothing to lose.~

Registered

status quo

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    I have seen this behavior a few times. My guess is that it's feeding behavior, but it could easily be to escape predation.

Cozumel Eagle Ray Takes a Jump

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    I have seen this behavior a few times. My guess is that it's feeding behavior, but it could easily be to escape predation.
    Cozumel Eagle Ray Takes a Jump

Thanks I just found it and was reading it... sorry for the repeat post....

~“The Law of Reality”Never get into fights with ugly people, they have nothing to lose.~

ScubaBoard Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Off Gassing

Dives
    3,000+
    Photos
    I think it is done to dislodge parasites. I've never seen stingrays do it, but I've seen eagle rays, cow rays and manta rays do it lots.
    Interested in diving Boynton?
    Find the latest on conditions and critters here.

Underwater Explorers, Inc
    www.DiveBoyntonBeach.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubakevdm View Post
    I think it is done to dislodge parasites. I've never seen stingrays do it, but I've seen eagle rays, cow rays and manta rays do it lots.
    I found an article from a google search that said this as well. That they have never seen actual stingrays do this, but many people identify all rays as "stingrays" and this seems to be where the confusion is.

Here is the article:
    Ocean Watch: Stingrays jump for joy | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/05/23/

I have never heard of this News source before and have no idea of its creditablity. So I will assume it is creditable until I hear other wise...

Thanks

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Photos
    I was in Rodanthe, NC a week or so ago and saw this same thing. My friend actually saw one right by his feet in about 4 ft of water.

Barangay Pasaway

uhhhh, huh?...me?

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubakevdm View Post
    It's common to see eagle rays jumping down here. I've also heard it's to get away from remoras that are tagging along with them. They are a pest. I've tried to ooosh them away with my hand while swimming with no shirt or wetsuit and they come back and start nipping at me.
    "Well, we don't rent pigs...because any man that would rent pigs....well, he'd be hard to stop" -Augustus McRae-

When life hands you lemons, shoot some fish and make ceviche....

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    On a sad note, there are infrequent occurrences where rays have jumped clear out of the water and have landed in boats, and one even landed on a passenger in a boat and the impact killed her.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Diver View Post
    I found an article from a google search that said this as well. That they have never seen actual stingrays do this, but many people identify all rays as "stingrays" and this seems to be where the confusion is.
    Thanks
    As far as I know, all rays are stingrays. If the ray has no stinger or barb, it's not a ray but a skate.
    "If people were Superior to Animals, they'd take better care of the world." -Winnie the Pooh

"What we must do is encourage a sea change in attitude, one that acknowledges we are a part of the living world, not apart from it." -Sylvia Earle

Missing Diva.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Mantas have no barbs and are not skates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast