Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: The purpose of lobster "mini-season"

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Question

Can anyone tell me what the reasoning is behind having a two-day lobster mini-season smack dab in the middle of the week, only to close lobster season then re-open it again a couple of weeks later? If you're going to open it up for just two days, why in the middle of the week, why not on the weekend? Inquiring minds want to know!

Registered

seafood sifu

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Greg,

Weds & Thurs cause of the raucous atmosphere and crowds when it used to be on the wk end. 2weeks before the commercial boats and divers get to pillage. The commercial boats used to have 3 million traps allotted to Fla, mostly in the Keys. Commercial divers can harvest hundreds a day for the 1st few days. Thus a mini sport prior to the opening in August. This is a well managed resource as the population is very stable albeit not as plentiful as in the 1700s and 1800s when shipwreck victims could live on bugs they could walk out and grab.
    www.sustainablefishing.org

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Bugs everywhere...

I suspected as much. Yes, it's not hard to picture the near-riot if it were on a weekend, especially tourists. As such, it's doubtful I'll be able to participate, unless I call in sick one of those days.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

My tourist butt is going to be down there participating ......gona do our first dive that night at 12:00 am .....its gona be my first salt water dive at night looking foward to it

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Bug hunting

Come on down, the water's fine! If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have scheduled my vacation for this week so I could be out there too.

P.S. Spend lots of money!

Originally posted by Scubasteve78
    My tourist butt is going to be down there participating ......gona do our first dive that night at 12:00 am .....its gona be my first salt water dive at night looking foward to it

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Well my sister lives in Deerfield and her boyfriend has the boat so i'm going on a budget bug hunt for sure However i'm sure the local bars and restaurants will appreciate the extra income<G> I leave houston tomorrow at 1:30 i can't wait!!! I'm so ready to dive in some decent water the gulf has not been kind to us this year ..

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Budget bug hunt...

Yup, I hear that, budget diving. Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a boat, I have to pay through the nose for a charter. If work wasn't behind as it is, I would call in sick at least one of those days and try to do a shore dive. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple weeks.

Registered

Master Diver

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I live in the keys and dive it all the time. These two days do more damage to the reefs than tourist do all year. If you come to the keys keep in mind there are plenty of bugs on the gulf side.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Because there are enough deaths during mini season when it is held in the middle of the week. If it were on a weekend, then twice as many divers, who only dive this one time a year, would be getting themselves dead.

I might be wrong but the logic is sound if you look at mini season history.

Registered

I put the PRIME in PRIMATE

Dives
    25 - 49
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    Yup, I hear that, budget diving. Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a boat, I have to pay through the nose for a charter. If work wasn't behind as it is, I would call in sick at least one of those days and try to do a shore dive. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple weeks.
    Hey, you could call in, say "I think I'm catching some bug" and will have told (pretty much) the truth.

Steve