Out of a Clear Blue River--Oregon's Chetco River Threatened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I don't normally do this, but I'm going to ask people who read this forum to write or talk to their Congress person and Senator about a mining threat to the Chetco River. Here's the Oregonian's editorial about this threat:
By The Oregonian Editorial Board
June 02, 2010, 3:53PM
Most Oregonians never have laid eyes on the Chetco River, which tumbles out of the Siskiyou Mountains and flows into the Pacific Ocean at Brookings, in the far southwest corner of the state. Until now, the Chetco's out of sight, out of mind status has been just fine with those who love the river.

chetco1.jpgBut not anymore. Those who care about the Chetco are desperately trying to draw attention to the river and to plans by a Seattle developer to mine for gold in some 24 miles of the streambed. The proposed large-scale suction dredging is a serious threat to the clear-blue Chetco and its robust runs of wild salmon and steelhead.

On Wednesday, the national conservation group American Rivers released its annual list of the 10 most endangered rivers in the United States. The Chetco was seventh -- and the only Oregon river to make the list.

If it seems inconceivable that the federal government would let anyone suction dredge even a single mile of such a pristine river, then you don't know the 1872 Mining Law, which still trumps both common sense and federal wild and scenic river rules meant to protect streams such as the Chetco.

Without an act of Congress or a formal mining withdrawal, there's no way local land managers can block the proposed suction dredging on the Chetco. Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski, members of the state's congressional delegation, local environmental groups and American Rivers all have called on top Obama administration officials to withdraw the Chetco from mining. That would give Congress time to pass legislation to permanently protect the river.

But so far there's been no response from the Obama administration. Meanwhile, the mining season draws near, and soon the suction dredges could be stirring up the bottom of one of Oregon's natural treasures. The Chetco needs attention -- and it needs it now.
Out of a clear blue river | OregonLive.com
As vintage divers, especially some of us who dive rivers, we know the precious nature of these rivers better than most. It is unfortunate that an 1872 law can be used to despoil one of the truly wondrous rivers of the West. Linda, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dan's home very close to the Chetco River?

If you'll look at the photo on the bottom of this entry, you'll see Red-sided Minnows mating in the larger rock of the North Umpqua River, near Roseburg, Oregon. I have seen them in the Clackamas River up here in Portland too. Here is another photo of Northern Pike Minnows spawning in front of the red-sided shiners.
NPMspawningcloseup.jpg

These are the types of ecosystems (home systems) that are directly threatened by these mining activities.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom