Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stung by a Rockfish

Registered

loves Rockfish. And Sculpins.

I teach Pacific NW Fish ID to divers, and one...

I teach Pacific NW Fish ID to divers, and one of the questions they always have is HOW BAD DO ROCKFISH STING?

Not having personal experience in that area, and appreciating every mm of neoprene I wear on my hands, I really like hearing about others' experiences on the topic. Thanks guys!!

I also stumbled across this fisherman's experience with a Black Rockfish. Sounds like he's been nailed a few other times as well.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...aterff10.phtml

I am under the understanding that Cabezon are not poisonous - just their eggs. (nice purply masses that they'll guard fiercely! I've been rammed several times by these hefty bottomfish)
    REEF Outreach Coordinator
    Attend free Fishinars online
    Seen any cool critters lately?
    ><((((°>

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Actually Rockfish, Scorpionfish, and Lionfish...

Actually Rockfish, Scorpionfish, and Lionfish are closely related their venom is not seriously dangerous to most peoplej. The people that should worry are people who are allergic to bee stings. Although if you ever get stung again, run hot water over the area that got stung (as hot as you can stand it) for 5 to 10 minutes, this breaks down the venom and will relieve your pain.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Photos

Rockfish sure do sting, although sometimes it...

Rockfish sure do sting, although sometimes it's not that bad. While we are trolling for Salmon up here (Alaska), we catch many different species of rockfish, and often you will get stung while the fish is flip-flopping around during the "hook extraction" phase. I've had mild ooey-gooey wounds on my hands, and other times it's not much to speak of. My uncle, however, is a commercial fisherman, and a few years back he got spined big time - 3 spines broke off in the back of his hand. It was NASTY - they had to cut necrotic portions out, sew him up, and he was bandaged & swollen for quite some time.
    Of course if he would have come off the fishing grounds a few days earlier to seek medical attention, it would not have been so bad, but he is one of those bullheaded "time is money" fishermen who are so focused on their livelihood....darn him! :out:

New User

Has not set a "status"

I was stung just over 2 wks ago in the Sea of...

I was stung just over 2 wks ago in the Sea of Cortez. Never had anything hurt so bad in my life. After a 2-hr boat ride back to dock, I did soak my hand in HOT water for the next 4 hrs. It took out the throbbing, but the swelling and the pain were and ARE still there. Swelling gone down some, but still very painful--can't bend middle finger all the way yet. Yikes! how long does this last? Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant. Tried to see a Dr in Mexico, but the clinic was crowded & time didn't permit. Is it too late for any treatment? I'm thinking it will eventually go away, but sure is uncomfortable now!

Registered

loves Rockfish. And Sculpins.

Seek medical attention!

Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant.
    Grouper,

There's a good chance after this much time has elapsed that you've got an infection of some sort, which needs to be treated with antibiotics. So this armchair dr. thinks you should get that hand seen by a REAL Doc, pronto!!

REEF Outreach Coordinator
    Attend free Fishinars online
    Seen any cool critters lately?
    ><((((°>

Eli
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Moms Are Always Right.

grouper4246 once bubbled...
    I was stung just over 2 wks ago in the Sea of Cortez Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant. Tried to see a Dr in Mexico, but the clinic was crowded & time didn't permit. Is it too late for any treatment? I'm thinking it will eventually go away, but sure is uncomfortable now!
    I agree fully with Scubamom, after two weeks you have an infected hand. Dont wait for it to heal on its own! The problem is that the infection can cause all kinds of problems from septic arthritis in the joint, to a fatal blood infection, to bacterial infections of the heart valves (endocarditis). The responsible bug is usually not a marine bacterium but staph aureus, the bug which causes most wound infections, and the complications mentioned above. Get yourself seen by a clinic ASAP, get the wound cultured, get put on antibiotics.

I recently had a puncture wound by a nonvenomous fish spine (while fishing) and ended up with a staph infection in my finger, so I have had a similar experience. A few days of antibiotics, and all was fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12