Faroe Islands Pilot Whale Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granted, what's going on in Denmark with the pilot whales is tragic. But that has been going on for years, and its been reported in the news before. I am not belittling that situation, but there are other cetaceans (whale, dolphins, and porpoises) that are in a real dire need to be saved. I have posted threads in this forum section about dolphins, and porpoises that are on the verge of extinction.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...078-pink-dolphins-being-slaughtered-bait.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...-chance-save-vaquita-porpoise-extinction.html

The movie “The Cove” has generated interest in the dolphins off Japan, but when it comes to other cetacean species in other parts of the world. There seems to be no interest in saving them.

Lock Washer

Granted, what's going on in Denmark with the pilot whales is tragic. But that has been going on for years, and its been reported in the news before.

Oh, well that makes it OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

Read this in full for a more balanced report than you can ever get from the Huffington Post (on any subject).

Whaling in the Faroe Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This truly is a island tradition that can be documented back hundreds of years. The hunts are regulated and the meat is distributed through the island population, not sold.

These animals are killed in shallow water, making a great bloody photo op for activists. But, you wouldn't like what you see inside a US slaughter house or meat packing plant either.

Lets not be hypocritical here, if the species is not endangered, then this is really not any different.

That said, I am awed by marine mammals and do not want to see them decimated by senseless slaughter. To these people they are a traditional food source. I think that what they are doing is different from what the Japanese whaling fleets are doing.

Read this in full for a more balanced report than you can ever get from the Huffington Post (on any subject).

Whaling in the Faroe Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This truly is a island tradition that can be documented back hundreds of years. The hunts are regulated and the meat is distributed through the island population, not sold.

These animals are killed in shallow water, making a great bloody photo op for activists. But, you wouldn't like what you see inside a US slaughter house or meat packing plant either.

Lets not be hypocritical here, if the species is not endangered, then this is really not any different.

That said, I am awed by marine mammals and do not want to see them decimated by senseless slaughter. To these people they are a traditional food source. I think that what they are doing is different from what the Japanese whaling fleets are doing.

I believe that the article mentions that they no longer eat the meat due to the high levels of mercury. This makes the whole thing senseless -----and species become endangered when we ignore the ongoing decimation of large populations until all of sudden we realize that too many have been killed. If nipped in the bud such as this nonsense we can prevent a future problem. If the Pilot whales were really a source of food then a certain number killed for food during the year of a large population would be like fishing (for food). This is a big killing party and it should be stopped.

You are a wrong to use the word hypocritical here unless of course you are referring to yourself.

I eat meat, they eat whales. No hypocrisy here.

You misread the article. It said some medical professionals were recommending they don't eat the whale meat, not that they didn't eat it. In fact, it says they store and distribute the meat to the community.

Not something I would ever do, but they are a different culture. Its easy to be judgmental about others traditions, but that does not make it right or appropriate. Until the pilot whales are declared endangered I am not willing to demand they change.

Note that I made no personal attacks.

Granted, what's going on in Denmark with the pilot whales is tragic. But that has been going on for years, and its been reported in the news before.

Oh, well that makes it OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am not saying that it makes it okay. You are missing my point about other cetaceans in a more dire need.

The "pink dolphins" are the Amazon River Dolphins, with their numbers that are down to 1200 dolphins left. The Vaquita is the porpoise in the Gulf of California that is down to 200 porpoises left. They are losing 30 to 40 porpoises a year due to gillnet entanglements. At this rate, this porpoise will be extinct within the next 2 to 3 years. The Chinese River Dolphin: "The Baiji" just went extinct 2 years ago.

Would someone answer me please? You don't think these cetaceans are in greater need?

Lock Washer

I didn't post this thread to put these whales in priority in front of any other marine mammal being needlessly slaughtered. Obviously both are in need of protection.

All cultures choose their food based on availability. Often we are quick to judge what other cultures choose without looking objectively at our own choices. The US slaughtered the American bison nearly to extinction, brought many whale species down to critical population levels in our hunt for their oil (was the meat eaten? I don't know). We choose to kill mainly domesticated animals today, but certainly there are those in India who find this intolerable.

I object to the killing of other species for sport, or if they are endangered. However, food is food and we all kill whether it be plants (eating grains and seeds could be viewed as abortion by some) or animals. My guess is that land-based food in the Faroe Islands may be somewhat limited, requiring that the population turn to the sea for sustenance.

Of course given the spiraling human population, we take far more of many species than is sustainable or healthy for marine ecosystems.

The near extinction of the bison populaiotn is a prime example of why we should now be smart enough to evaluate at the slaughter of other animals sooner rather than later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom