Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Nature Takes its Course

Scuba Instructor

Get My New Book "The
    First 130 feet" Available
    Now at Amazon.com

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos

Nature Takes its Course

Something I learned on my most recent trip to the Bahamas is something I suspected all along. The fish of the Atlantic Reef systems adapt amazingly quick.

I witnessed a large Queen Triggerfish chasing and eating a live juvenile Lionfish. So much for all the worry about Lionfish having no natural predators and this insidious hunt to exterminate them. We already knew that sharks would eat them as would large Groupers... but who knew Triggerfish were eating them before they could grow?

I suspect this is a fairly recent adaptation for the voracious Triggerfish. I had not heard of this before... but after seeing it with my own eyes, I have no doubt that Lionfish have natural predators among Atlantic Reef Fish.

Nature, especially in the sea, adapts itself to meet its needs. Perhaps for a short time, Lionfish were running amuck in the Atlantic, but I suspect it is in the process of finding it's place and it's numbers will adjust and adapt into the ecosystem as has happened with all other fish throughout time. In my opinion, humans need to stay out of the equation.

I say if you like to eat Lionfish (and they are good eating,) hunt them like you would any other fish.. but don't malisciously go around killing them thinking you're helping out the ecosystem. You just might be taking a meal from a friendly Trigger or Grouper or Shark... or some other species we just don't know eats them yet.

Peace.
    Ken Barrick
    KB Diver Services Inc.(443)-231-7052
    www.kbdiverservices.net
    Shop Online with us
    For Everything In, On and Around the Water

Scuba Instructor

Get My New Book "The
    First 130 feet" Available
    Now at Amazon.com

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Here is a photo my wife took of the Trigger with the Lionfish in it's mouth just before it finished it off... not a great pic... but you can see it...Name:  Riding Rock Michelle 1 076.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  17.3 KB
    Ken Barrick
    KB Diver Services Inc.(443)-231-7052
    www.kbdiverservices.net
    Shop Online with us
    For Everything In, On and Around the Water

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

"She turned me into a
    Newt"

Dives
    200 - 499
    It's amazing how fish adapt. In the St Lawrence and Great Lakes the introduction of the goby was a definite negative impact. However a few years later the predators, bass, pike, walleyes, muskies, perch, etc. realized hey we can eat them and from my observations are starting to reduce their numbers. I just hope that the Asian carp never make it to the Great Lakes. Seems we have some either very stupid or uninformed people controlling the Mississippi and Ohio River basin. However the people controlling the St Law. Seaway are not toobright either. Ships from overseas need to be sterilized or cleaned before entering our waters.

This is however my opinion and if it offends, Tough, get over it!

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    That's the first report I have noticed of any native fishes attacking a live lion. Hope it catches on.

I don't think hunters killing the big ones is going disrupt their learning process. There'll still be plenty around for them to graze on.
    Mike likes this.
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Registered

Between Dives

Dives
    200 - 499
    In my opinion, humans need to stay out of the equation.

I say if you like to eat Lionfish (and they are good eating,) hunt them like you would any other fish.. but don't malisciously go around killing them thinking you're helping out the ecosystem. You just might be taking a meal from a friendly Trigger or Grouper or Shark... or some other species we just don't know eats them yet.
    The logic of that doesn't work well.

First off, divers culling large numbers of lionfish on reefs accessible for recreational divers provide dead lionfish for potential predators to 'sample,' reduce lionfish numbers on those sites giving prey species more time to adapt to the lionfish threat, and the idea that if we kill lionfish we might prevent predators from being able to find one (otherwise how would we be costing them a meal?)... (Wow, we should be so lucky!!!). If that's a concern, just leave the ones you kill lying around. The predators won't mind the assist.

I don't see where you've made any case against deliberate culling by divers ('maliciously' or not), especially based on one anecdotal account of a triggerfish eating a small one.

Richard.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Everything adapts! That being said, here on the reefs(SPA) in the Keys the divers have done a good job of reducing the lionfish. That being said go outside the sanctuary and a little deeper and it seems to have made no difference whatsoever. My 2 cents
    I live in a sunny place surrounded by shady people

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoady View Post
    It's amazing how fish adapt.
    Everything adapts ... that's just how the world works. It was built with self-correcting mechanisms to maintain a balance.

But adaptation is inherently slow ... it sometimes takes millenia for corrections to achieve a new balance ... and human-induced changes occur on a much quicker time-frame than that. And let's be honest, were it not for human actions, these fish wouldn't be where they're not supposed to be in the first place.

Furthermore, we have no idea what side-effects this or any other adaptation will incur ... but I guarantee you there will be some. They may or may not be conducive to human interests.

Let's not be too quick to say "problem solved" ... the planet doesn't particularly care whether its adaptations serve our interests or not ... and if we're not more careful, we may someday find ourselves without reefs to dive on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    It was just below freezing and snow was falling steadily. As we stepped toward that portal separating a cold and dreary world from the tranquility and wonder of another dimension teeming with life and color a passer-by shook his head and muttered "crazy". Poor fool. If he only knew. (Airsix)

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Registered

opening Pandora's Box

I see no downside to letting scuba divers kill every single lionfish in the Western Hemisphere, where they don't 'belong' in the 1st place, moreover scuba divers will have almost zero impact on their populations anyway other than inside a few shallow, well-dove sites, where perhaps native species can be preserved intact and survive long enough to learn to eat lionfish and turn the tide against the alien invaders (lionfish). We'd be better served taking measures to preserve apex predators (sharks / groupers) as they are the only realistic hope of really turning the tide.

Registered

Planning the next dive...

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks for sharing the info and the pic. That's important info for all of us.
    "Our fears are like dragons guarding our most precious treasure."
    Rilke

Registered

likes getting wet!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    We are a large problem so doing the best we can to reduce a menace fish we introduced is not stoopid! I saw a video of a Scorpion fish eating a Lionfish on the web. This is not the video but rather what a scorpion fish looks like.

This looked to be a mature Lionfish as it looked almost a big as the Scorpion fish.

I agree, shark fining may be a bigger issue, but bringing awareness to these issues and talking about them never hurts. Lionfish are tasty! Hope it catches on....
    Ron
    http://ronfrankweb.weebly.com/index.html
    Protect Florida's Precious BARRIER REEF! go HERE to Help
    My PBASE Gallery is HERE
    Looking for Used Gear, checkout SCUBA SITEMASH

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast