Massive starfish die-off in Pacific Ocean linked to mystery virus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if any of them will make a come back.

I saw a very small sunflower star several months ago, but other than that, I have not seen a sunflower star in well over a year and they used to be prolific.

PICT0263.jpg

Glad to hear scientists have at least isolated the cause, although it doesn't sound like any solution is on the horizon except for hoping these species can adapt. I continue to see small sunflower stars in Puget Sound, so there's hope.

I must have had 20 e-mails and posts regarding the discovery of this virus. It is a major accomplishment to isolate the vector responsible. Kudos to the team of scientists. However, since it has been around for at least decades, it is important now to find out what triggered the explosive epidemic we observed this year.

Yes, it is a good discovery. But, with this happening to multiple species on both land and water, I can't help but believe the root cause is ultimately environment destruction - formerly known as Climate Change.

If it is global climate change, I would be a bit surprised since the epidemic covered a very wide range of latitudes from the Pacific NW into Mexico. However one does need to wonder why this virus suddenly took off so explosively and extensively.

Must still be radiation from Fukushima. Those other non-scientists can't be wrong. /sarcasm off

Yes, it is a good discovery. But, with this happening to multiple species on both land and water, I can't help but believe the root cause is ultimately environment destruction - formerly known as Climate Change.

Ummm no.

But, with this happening to multiple species on both land and water,

Yikes... I didn't realize sea stars were living on land, too.

Seriously, what land critters affected by this virus are you referring to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom