"killing contests" ... do they make sense in this day and age?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The question goes beyond why is this allowed to happen ... why are states sanctioning the wanton killing of animals that have lived in these waters for millions of years?

'Killing Contests' That Target Pregnant Females Threaten to Wipe Out This Graceful Ocean Animal | TakePart

They claim these rays are threatening their shellfish industry. But filter feeders tend to be more threatened by things like pollution and stormwater runoff (a consequence of wanton development along waterfronts) than they would be by predators.

And targeting pregnant females goes beyond stupidity ... it's a direct attempt to wipe out the species. In this day and age, I see no justification for this ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

“You can see these rays skittering across the water, and then they’ll settle into a euphoric state with their wing tips out of the water,” said Robbie Bowe, organizer of Bowes & Arrows Skate Shoot and owner of an archery shop in Woodbridge, Md

It like they have their hands up.

I abhor any killing contest with the exception of those targeting invasive species (I kill LOTS of the invasive seaweed Sargassum horneri and my conscience is clear). This is yet another example of trying to modify the environment for commercial purposes.

The rays I don't really get though....

Quite simple, legal bloodsport.

Just don't go go carpet bombing the entire east coast diving community with something that has nothing to do with diving.

I regularly catch Cownose rays while surf fishing. Beautiful creatures, unintentional catch, sorry, off you go...

they are actually pretty tasty though, but there's a difference in killing for sport and killing for food....

Yep, they'll wipe them out and then find that shell fish production actually dropped afterwards. Evidence will show that the rays, in their feeding habits, stir up the bottom silt and "aerate" it somewhat, making it a more healthy environment for the shellfish….like oysters and clams.

(this is hypothetical but I will bet something along these lines will be discovered when it's too late….like with wolves)

Elasmobranchs in general are not known for reproducing quickly; I get the feeling this will backfire sooner rather than later.

I have no problem with declaring war on an invasive species - if it wasn't for the collateral damage factor I probably would have tried using M-80s on lionfish by now. Generally when someone decides a native species needs to be "controlled" via a targeted hunting program, it doesn't turn out well. Even if it doesn't go horribly wrong it's just a very crude prop for an ecosystem that's falling apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom