Everglades, Snakes & Gators...Would you Dive?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
- Not really scuba realated but I thought it was interesting. I don't know how many people dive in the everglades but heres a good story.
- A 13 foot Python was found burst after trying to eat a live 6 foot gator whole. Thats just about the size of you average diver!! Ha :wink: Anyway, for those interested here is the link!

Python vs Gator Story

That story even made the news here in New Zealand. Amazing stuff

Pfft! Back in the days of mullets and pink bandanas my "redneck fishing buddies" would drop me in the canal on US 27 and I'd ski back to the take out at Markham park. There where gators all over back then. The low bridges were scarier to me than the gators.

Oh the joys of pets being let looose!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1006_051006_pythoneatsgator.html

October 6, 2005—Unfortunately for a 13-foot (4-meter) Burmese python in Florida's Everglades National Park, eating the enemy seems to have caused the voracious reptile to bust a gut—literally.
Wildlife researchers with the South Florida Natural Resources Center found the dead python last week after it apparently tried to digest a 6-foot-long (2-meter-long) American alligator. The mostly intact dead gator was found sticking out of a hole in the midsection of the python, and wads of gator skin were found in the snake's gastrointestinal tract.

The gruesome discovery suggests that the python's feisty last meal might have been too much for it to handle.

Clashes between alligators and pythons have been on the rise in the Everglades for the past 20 years. Unwanted pet snakes dumped in the swamp have thrived, and the Asian reptile is now a major competitor in the alligator's native ecosystem. (See "Huge, Freed Pet Pythons Invade Florida Everglades.")

"Clearly if [pythons] can kill an alligator, they can kill other species," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, told the Associated Press. "There had been some hope that alligators can control Burmese pythons. … This [event] indicates to me it's going to be an even draw."

—Victoria Gilman

I wonder if this means there will be an open license on hunting pythons??

Eric, you mean all you did was ski down gator canal? pffff... Moving target..

I'd dive a gator hole, they only go down 15'.. deeper than that and the pressure is to much for them.

CBulla:
I'd dive a gator hole, they only go down 15'.. deeper than that and the pressure is to much for them.

Yeah....but then you have to share their space on your safety stop!

No thanks. Actually I'd be more worried about poisonous snakes - I know......I'm just a wimp!

Gators? Sure. I saw a video of a guy diving in an abalone submersible and running into a 20+ foot long saltwater crocodile. The head on this creature was enormous.

If nothing else, I think I have found an all new appreciation for alligators. :D

I don't mind hiking in the woods with grizzlies & cougars, but I don't think I'd want to swim with croc's and snakes :)

Back
Top Bottom