What are some specific examples of biologists saving species?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for some specific examples of animals on the brink of extinction that were saved (preferably marine related) by biologists.

I know that Alan Rabinowitz studied Jaguars in Belize for a long time. He then gave a presentation to the country's government on the subject and got the world's first jaguar preserve created.

definition of 'saved'...

Efforts by biologists have kept the California Condor and Whooping Crane from completely disappearing, but their futures are tenuous at best.

Some now want the Grizzly Bear in the continental US de-listed as T/E and hunting resumed.

Whales of various species are making progress in population recovery, but the Japanese, Norwegians and a few others are prepared to 'study' them to death.

The buffalo, or more appropriately, the American Bison, declined in numbers from the millions prior to 1890 to a population of less than 1000 animals at the turn of the century.

They now are a healthy and breeding herd across the Great Plains of the United States and Canada.

the K

I don't agree with whaling on any level, but the species the Japanese are "studying to death" are Minkes, which have quite a healthy population. I'd personally rather not see whales hunted on principle, but I don't think the Japanese really pose much of a threat to the Minke population.

Biologists don't save species; zookeepers, wildlife managers, and legislators do.

Biologists supply the necessary information that these people need in order to take action. In that regard they function as consultants. Usually they operate as aggregate bodies in order to get their recommendations across; it is very rare to find a single biologist at the center stage of a species conservation effort. There may be a designated public "spokesman" however (i.e. Jane Goodall, Dan Pauly, E.O. Wilson).

An EXCELLENT point, Archman!

Even hunters have been responsible for saving more endangered species than biologists.

I wonder if PETA spends as much money on habitat reclamation and acquisition as Ducks Unlimited does????

the K

The Kraken:
I wonder if PETA spends as much money on habitat reclamation and acquisition as Ducks Unlimited does????
I was unaware of PETA contributing anything significant towards habitat conservation.

As for Ducks Unlimited, they're a godsend. Well-regulated hunting and fishing is a cheap price to pay for keeping all that land fairly pristine. Large numbers of armed men also works fairly well at keeping trespassers and looters out.

archman:
Large numbers of armed men also works fairly well at
keeping trespassers and looters out.

but they're hell on your weekly bridge group :wink:

nice thread

I'll have to disagree with Archman, although I agree with his point in general. Often it is the biologist studying species and ecosystems that recognize the problem in the first place, and that lobby or use their research to make the case before legislators (often in conjunction with environmental groups). Legislators are reactive and usually not aware of problems in the biological realm unless brought to their attention.

This is not to say that biologists do the captive breeding or other programs necessary to ensure the survival of a threatened species, although in our case here on Catalina they often do.

I agree that Ducks Unlimited has done a great job enhancing habitat for their "target" species. Salmon fishermen in northern California also helped capture fish to ensure eggs and milt for the CDF&G salmon recovery programs. It is good to see many billfishers encouraging scientists to study and help protect their "targets" and the trend away from kill tournaments to catch-and-release (despite fairly high mortality in some of those tournies). One could also look at the role of spearfishers who identified the decline in black or giant sea bass populations (Stereolepis gigas) in southern California (although biologist C. F. Holder first requested protection back in 1910).

Unfortunately the majority of fishers (at least in SoCal) seem to thwart efforts to preserve species as seen in the serious resistance through political pressure in what was supposed to be a strictly scientific approach to designating marine reserves in Calif., the pressure from commercial abalone harvesters to re-open seriously depleted red abalone stocks, and even the underhanded targeting of already protected species (including the black sea bass) by fishers.

And as for PETA, in my experience they often focus their efforts on domesticated animals including pets. I'm not sure if many of them have much grounding in natural ecosystems. Let's protect cats so they can eat more and more of the ocean fish stocks via canned pet food!

Well, lessee... recently, they've brought the 1918 bird flu virus back from the abyss, and they're keeping a little smallpox around just for grins & giggles...
Rick :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom