Lionfish In The Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Before you all tell me they can only be found on the South Pacific, I already know that. However, I personally have seen the Zebra Lionfish in the Bahamas/Exumas less than a week ago. I even snapped a picture (a poor one at that) of it. Apparently, these lovely critters are being spotted lately in the Caribbean.

lion.JPG

Yep, there is one that hangs out in the Bond Wreck in Nassau. The DM on our boat said he thought it came from the Paradise Island Aquarium. Where in the Exumas? Could it have been close enough to be the same one?

John

That's not news to us, we have been seeing them in North Carolina for several years. No one seems to know where they came from but it appears we have a breeding population. Theories range form pet turned loose to aquariums damaged during hurricanes, however they got here, they are here to stay and seem to be increasing in population.

jpsexton:
Yep, there is one that hangs out in the Bond Wreck in Nassau. The DM on our boat said he thought it came from the Paradise Island Aquarium. Where in the Exumas? Could it have been close enough to be the same one?

Doubtful that it's the same one. This was off Conception Island. There are more of this species of fish being spotted in the Caribbean. They breed well apparently.

They are all the way up and down the east coast of the US also. We've been seeing them off Charleston SC for 3 years. They range in size from juvenile to adult, so they are definitely breeding.

The Caribbean sightings represent newer populations than the ones off the eastern U.S. seaboard.

Kill it.

DavidPT40:
Are they really harmful to native fish?
Yes.
I read that 7 out of every 10 introduced species have no effect on native species.
Ow, I just cringed. Could you post the reference you heard that from?

Exotics suck.

Ok, I found the quote I was thinking of. Not quite the same as what I previously posted, but similar.

A general rule of thumb used by many scientists is that about 10-15% of all introduced nonindigenous species actually become established, and about 10-15% of those that become established also become invasive and harmful.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/brochures/invasive/ansprimer.html

Back
Top Bottom