I need some help, please (Marine Biology)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello I have just decided to change from Elemenary Education to be a Marine Biologists. But I really don't know to much about it. I was told to get an undergrad (BS) degree in Biology first. Then transfer and get a Masters degree as Marine Biology. Does anyone agree with this. Also I am looking to transfer from Maryland to either North Carolina or Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions. I thank anyone who is willing to contribute to helping me.

Yes. There are few institutions which offer a bachelor's degree in marine biology. When I got mine I made sure I included a number of marine-oriented biology courses and independent studies. I later went on to get my M.A. and Ph.D. in marine ecology.

Don't know much about the institutions there so I can't help you.

Why get an undergrad degree in biology instead of marine biology/marine science? What do you want to do as a marine biologist? That should influence your school selection. For instance, I would recommend that you look at Coastal Carolina University in SC, but not if you are really interested in marine mammals.

Jackie

scuba_aqua_girl:
Hello I have just decided to change from Elemenary Education to be a Marine Biologists. But I really don't know to much about it. I was told to get an undergrad (BS) degree in Biology first. Then transfer and get a Masters degree as Marine Biology. Does anyone agree with this. Also I am looking to transfer from Maryland to either North Carolina or Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions. I thank anyone who is willing to contribute to helping me.

You sound like me 13 years ago. I started my Marine Biology degree at Salisbury State in MD and transfered as a sophomore to UNC Wilmington to complete my undergrad. The diving was so good here I decided to stay and got my Masters also. That wasn't enough so I came on as a research associate. I'd highly recommend UNCW for either your undergrad and/or masters in Marine Biology. There are many programs that suit most interests in the field. PM me if you have any questions.

Checkout these site:
http://www.uncwil.edu/cmsr/
http://www.uncwil.edu/nurc/

Pat

I have to agree with Dr. Bill that not alot of institutions offer undergraduate degrees in Marine Biology, but rather offer a general biology degree. When I earned my undergraduate degree, I enrolled in classes that dealt mostly with the marine, estuarine and limnological sciences and supporting classes such as invertebrate zoology. When I went to graduate school I became more specialized in a field (marine chemistry and toxicology) under a general Environmental Chemistry degree. Not exactly what I had originally planned on doing, but I found I had an affinity for chemistry and biochemistry and was able to combine that with working in the marine environment.
What you will probably end up doing when you start your education is slowly find a niche within the wide realm of (marine) biology that you like, and specialize in that field when you continue on in grad school.
Look at the course listings available for different undergrad schools and pick one that offers the classes that will stear you in the direction you want to go. Make sure it is a research intensive institution with very good lab facilities and a highly rated science department.

The University of South Florida (Tampa) offers a BS in marine biology - http://www.usf.edu/

USF's College of Marine Science (St. Petersburg) a graduate program - http://www.marine.usf.edu/

There's also Eckerd College (St. Petersburg) that offers a BS in marine science - http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/msn/

There are certainly more academic institutions that offer the biology or marine bio or marine science degrees here in Florida (i.e., Miami, etc.), as well as other states. Look around and target those that seem to fit your area of interest.

Good luck!

Are you currently in high school or an undergraduate?

UNCW is a fantastic school for marine biology. My sister started out there as a marine biology major and then switched to special education. However, her fiancée did graduate with a marine biology degree (minor in chemistry). My brother also went to UNCW although graduated with a B.S. in Business Admin. Although I ended up not going there, I have always liked the campus and heard great things about the school. It is also a very nice town to visit when I come in to see my sister.

If you are serious about becoming a marine biologist (scientist), be sure to realize that a simple undergraduate degree will not be enough. Plan on getting at least a master’s and be sure to get into research as soon as possible. Professors often keep a slot open in their labs for an undergraduate position during summer breaks. Internships are another popular route. These types of things are great experience and very important for advanced studies.

CVDev

Well I am working on undergrad I had an associate degree towards elementary education but now I want to change so I am back at a community college getting as many classes towards an associate in sciences. Then I am looking to transfer to a 4 year that offers marine bioly from undergrad and on...

Thanks for the info on UNCW. Right now I am really debating between there and somewhere in FL. But Im not sure of some schools in FL. Thanks about the info about interns.

Back
Top Bottom