Any reason to think that diving might be PHYSICALLY addictive? or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious. I have noticed for myself that there is a period that lasts approx 72 hours after diving during which I am really eager to do more. Of course, I always would prefer to be diving than sitting at my desk at work or doing many of the other things that I do in life, but the need to go diving somehow seems different and more intense for a short period of time after a recent bout of dives. I suppose it is just psychological, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that subtle neural efx of diving relating to nitrogen, for example, might actually result in some form of low-level short-lasting addiction. Has anyone else experienced this or head any discussion of this topic before?

man, i have no proof, but i tell you, after a few dives, i do get a "high"
driving home... things feel so good... i'm on top of the world

... and i want to do it all over again...

so... yeah... i certainly feel some sort of "high" that i want to repeat

a coke habit would certainly cost me a lot less money than diving...

reminds me of a very old school .signature on Usenet:

"sadly, many computer users go on to become computer dealers in order to support their habit."

same could be said of diving...

H2Andy:
man, i have no proof, but i tell you, after a few dives, i do get a "high"
driving home... things feel so good... i'm on top of the world

... and i want to do it all over again...

so... yeah... i certainly feel some sort of "high" that i want to repeat

I think they call that narcosis :D

howarde:
I think they call that narcosis :D

hahaha... good one eyebrow

but.., you know... just for the record, narcosis only happens
under pressure and is immediately relieved upon ascent

H2Andy:
hahaha... good one eyebrow

but.., you know... just for the record, narcosis only happens
under pressure and is immediately relieved upon ascent

But if you could bottle that stuff... man... you'd be rich.

There's something . . . either physically or mentally addictive. I wonder if floating raises dopamine or serotonin levels?

One of the characteristics of addicts is the lengths to which they go to obtain the substances to which they are addicted. So far, I, who dread cold more than pain, find myself submerging in very cold water to do something which, after an hour, I know will render me cold enough to shiver. I, who am the poster child for social anxiety disorder, present myself to groups of people I don't know in order to do something I'm not very good at in front of them. I, who have had almost every major joint reconstructed in some fashion and suffer from arthritis in almost all of them, regularly haul forty pound tanks around. And all of this for an hour of . . . something.

Chocolate, good red wine, and riding finely trained horses are all exquisite pleasures, but none has motivated me to exceed personal limits in quite the same way.

dlwalke:
Just curious. I have noticed for myself that there is a period that lasts approx 72 hours after diving during which I am really eager to do more. Of course, I always would prefer to be diving than sitting at my desk at work or doing many of the other things that I do in life, but the need to go diving somehow seems different and more intense for a short period of time after a recent bout of dives. I suppose it is just psychological, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that subtle neural efx of diving relating to nitrogen, for example, might actually result in some form of low-level short-lasting addiction. Has anyone else experienced this or head any discussion of this topic before?

JUST 72 HOURS AFTER!! There is something wrong with you and you should seek the help of every trained physician till you find the source of this problem. :D

I find it more of a physical challenge. Don't know if it is because I am a bean pole or not but I really like the work out. I don't want to fight my gear!!

I know I am wanting to dive 24/7. It doesn't matter if I just dove or not I just want to dive all the time. I have only dove in qurries that are cold and have low to no viz and I still love it and want to go ALL the time. I have been to NC once and I would love to go back! But I always think I am just addicted to it. I don't know what makes it that way, something has too though. Right? :D

I've wondered whether the breathing method, which seems a lot like meditation breathing, is what gives the kind of "high". I have tried to meditate above water and just can't get my mind to stop wandering. When diving, we're paying attention to our breathing, and there's a purpose to it other than to relax - soI have no problem keeping my mind from wandering - so I've often wondered whether we're inadvertently doing meditation and getting all those associated benefits as well as just the fun of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom