interested in marine biologiy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TaMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am only 15 years of age, but i am really interested in marine biologiy. I have a marine aquariam in my bedroom and i love it. I also love the fact of diving (i haven't yet been). At school my favourite topic are science. Anyway, i was wondering if there is anything i should do to prepair myself for the dagree? for example should i read "fish books" or "water/sea books" just so i can get the basics down pact?

TaMe:
I am only 15 years of age, but i am really interested in marine biologiy. I have a marine aquariam in my bedroom and i love it. I also love the fact of diving (i haven't yet been). At school my favourite topic are science. Anyway, i was wondering if there is anything i should do to prepair myself for the dagree? for example should i read "fish books" or "water/sea books" just so i can get the basics down pact?

Reading all you can certainly won't hurt. More knowledge is a good thing. Have you talked to your school councelor? They should be able to guide you as to what courses in your high school will best prepare you for a marine science degree there in Oz. It's a pretty big field and there are lots of areas you can go into. I think a lot of youngsters, myself included, envisioned working on a beach, diving on reefs and collecting species, bio monitoring etc etc. Well, those jobs are rare and if you do land one, you'll likely be working for food and rent if you're lucky. Aquaculture, which is what I stumbled into, is big in Oz too. There is pond and tank culture of multiple species from shrimp to seaweeds to fish.... cage culture of cobia and other fish species is also a coming thing. You have a few years to decide so check it out and see what interests you. Hank

Reading is always a good thing in fact that is how I got interested in Marine Biology.

Contacting your a councelor would be a good start.

Since you are still in High School I will not go into what college courses you need.
I would recommend the following math and science courses if your school offers them. Biology, Chemistry, Math (Algebra, Physics, Calculus, Trig, Geometry), Earth Science, Botany, as well as any other science course offered. A writing course would also be useful. Also make sure your grades in your other classes are good as well most Universities don't want students who Ace science but do bad in Composition and History.

Also even though you have a lot of time before you need to think about college don't hesitate to contact a univeristy for advice on what Highschool classes you need.

Some things you need to know about marine biology are: You will write constantly; you cannot escape math; A's and B's are acceptable in classes C's, D's, and F's are not; and last but not least, you will not get rich.

Marine biology is a great field to study and work in. I wish you the best of luck.

I was thinking about this in the car the other day.

Is there much diving in marine biology?

I know there is diferent aspects of marine science and you do diferent things in each subject, but i was just wondering if marine biology suplyed a good rang of diving or you just have to do it in your own time?

thanks TaMe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom