REEF's Fish Survey Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Key Largo next month and was thinking of picking up a slate from the REEF's main office. It is an undewater fish survey slate. I was curious if anyone has any experiences with them. Was it well laid out? Educational? Distracting? Is it worth doing? Thanks for any feed back.

It's very well laid out and quite fun to do...I'm trying to increase awareness of this sort of thing in my area (East Central FL)...They are very big in south Florida

Joe

I have done a few surveys. Do yourself a favor and get the little waterproof book also. Punch a hole in the corner and attach it to a string. It has the most popular fishes in it.
Also, if you can, grab a few extra sheets for ID'ing. They do not erase very well.
Next, look over the layout of the sheets and familarize yourself with it BEFORE the dive. The fish are listed pretty much in order of the REEF ID book. Nothing worse than seeing a cool fish then spending the next 5 mionutes looking where it is located on the sheet.
Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom