I need some Marine Science lab ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a homeschool dad and my sons have been working on a self designed marine science class based on the college text by Castro. My problem is trying to come up with some age appropriate labs. My boys both dive and we are planning trips to Maui and New Zeland in addition to our normal haunts in Maine and Cape Ann.

Any idea would be appreciated.

I hope you've done intertidal zonation with him. There is also a sub-tidal zonation that's worthing looking at.

If you come to NZ you could dive in Fiordland (the very south west coast) and do some sampling/study of the extreme thermocline layers there. Would be a good chance to practice underwater sampling(with the problem-solving that goes hand in hand with true sampling) as well as salinity, turbidity, temperature and dissolved oxygen measurement and presentation. That and its the most beautiful part of the country :)

For a good foul-weather lab, check out the DVD, "Return of the Plankton" by yours truly. In addition to looking at behavior and food-web changes through the underwater seasons in Puget Sound, it helps show the "system" in "ecosystem." In addition to the 28 minute movie, the DVD also features over 150 photos with ID and other basic critter info, a sample quiz, and other study aids.

See STILL HOPE PRODUCTIONS INC. Home

You could make a secchi disk to measure clarity. Do a Google search on it and you'll have lots of info to make it. Another fun thing to try making is a water current meter. To measure current, perhaps you could use a magnet mounted/glued on cylinder rotating around a hub with a reed switch. Every time the magnet passes over the switch, it will close momentarily. Hook it to a simple electronic counter circuit and you could calculate the water current (number of rotations/time divided by the circumference). Not sure what you'd use for the rotating parts; maybe 6" PVC? It's a thought anyway.

There are a lot of cool experiments you can do with artemia (brine shrimp), phytoplankton, and rotifers with nutrient cycles, growth rate experiments, effects of pollution, etc. Most of the starter cultures are pretty inexpensive and you can do a lot with them if you get creative. If you need assistance finding the cultures, or lesson plans, drop me a line. I used to teach high school marine science and now I do marine aquaculture so I have a long list of suppliers etc in many parts of the country. If you are diving in NH, you can also probably seine some amphipods and copepods for some more cool experiments

Your question reminded me of a chapter in a book I read many years ago. The chapter was Measuring the Sea: Do It Yourself Oceanographic Equipment, by Dr. Andreas Rechnitzer in The Mariner's Guide to Oceanography, edited by Nixon Griffis.The chapter included sounding and lowering line, sounding weight, secchi disk for water clarity, bottom sampler, bottom sediment corer, plankton net, surface plankton pump, water column samplers, water column temperature, finding the thermocline, tide quage, water current drouge, diver tows, etc. Lots of information in a straightforward presentation. If you can't find the book through the library system, let me know via pm and I can "loan" you the chapter. The approach he uses to build your own equipment using readily available materials in a decidedly "low tech" one that none the less gets the job done.

Thanks All,

I ordered the Mariners guide and am going to try to finish up on Christmas vacation (going to Maui, NH is starting to get a wee bit cool for diving now that we have snow and ice. SeeThe Sees, if you have any access to lession plans they would be appreciated. Biology of any type has always been my weakness (I am a software engineer) so any knowdge you can share will be helpful.

Thanks All

There are a lot of cool experiments you can do with artemia (brine shrimp), phytoplankton, and rotifers with nutrient cycles, growth rate experiments, effects of pollution, etc. Most of the starter cultures are pretty inexpensive and you can do a lot with them if you get creative. If you need assistance finding the cultures, or lesson plans, drop me a line. I used to teach high school marine science and now I do marine aquaculture so I have a long list of suppliers etc in many parts of the country. If you are diving in NH, you can also probably seine some amphipods and copepods for some more cool experiments

I am also a new teacher teaching marine science for 10-12th students, My state has no standards or guidelines for the elective. I read your reply to someone else and would really appreciate if you could assist me as well with any and everything you could with regards to lesson plans, labs, activities; fun and interesting for the kids; but again anything would be so helpful. Thank you.

There are scads of cheap books full of marine biology teaching labs on amazon.com

Type in "marine biology lab" and find the one(s) you think will work out best for you!

Back
Top Bottom