Marine Science Program, Oxnard College

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sounds really good.

They've a nice suite of diving courses:

Scuba Diving: Beginning & Laboratory
Scuba Diving: Intermediate/Advanced
NAUI Training Assistant
NAUI Assistant Instructor
NAUI Divemaster
NAUI Instructor Preparatory Course (PREP)

But they're all recreational, with a program like the NOAA one it would be good to see a 100 hr. Scripps model research diver training program. Frankly I don't see how they can legally fulfill the requirements of the grant without having one.

Whats wrong with Recreational, ya gotta start somewhere

It's a community college. They only have to give an overview or introduction. It's not like they are going to train any scientific divers.

I do suspect that they just teamed up with the local dive shop and that is the suite of courses that teh local instructor knows how or has the resources to teach. It's the same at the local around here at Fullerton College. They have a marine science department, but the diving is a local instructor that does basic NAUI classes through the P.E. department. There is no integrated marine science classes like we had at Cal Poly or anything close to Scripps. Scripps is a real marine science facility.

It's a community college. They only have to give an overview or introduction. It's not like they are going to train any scientific divers.

I do suspect that they just teamed up with the local dive shop and that is the suite of courses that teh local instructor knows how or has the resources to teach. It's the same at the local around here at Fullerton College. They have a marine science department, but the diving is a local instructor that does basic NAUI classes through the P.E. department. There is no integrated marine science classes like we had at Cal Poly or anything close to Scripps. Scripps is a real marine science facility.
From Channel Islands Marine Sanctuary Manager’s Report
Volume 3, Number 5
White Abalone Restoration Project:
On December 1, 2005, the sanctuary will take students and faculty from Oxnard College and Channel Islands Marine Resource Institute (CIMRI) out to Santa Cruz Island aboard the R/V Shearwater to monitor white abalone habitat modules. Student interns will be working alongside CINP divers and researchers to record size frequency and abundance data on transplanted white abalone in four underwater habitat modules. Divers will use underwater audio and video systems to communicate with students topside as they monitor each module. This program is in support of a new five-year NOAA Minority Serving Institution and Environmental Partnership Program Grant that CIMRI and Oxnard College were recently awarded. Students will receive formal training in Oxnard College's Marine Studies Program, experience working with the white abalone at the CIMRI hatchery, and participate in monitoring the reintroduction of the endangered white abalone on cruises aboard the sanctuary's R/V Shearwater.
I think that they need to move much closer to what Cal Poly and Scripps do:

It does not sound like they've planned on dealing with the meeting the scientific diving community's consensual standard. If they do not do so they are required to operate under the Commercial regulations, which I'm sure that they're not prepared to meet. They get a choice, one or the other, not neither.

Concidering the new information provided by Thalassmania, I agree that the program is lacking, and if not sanctioned by the AAUS or setup as required as a scientific diving program that they will be in deep D** D**.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom