Some people seem to think that octopi have some form of "intelligence"........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually saw this behavior during a Late April dive in the upper Keyes. The octopus was attempting to get into a position to puncture the shell of a crab it had trapped when a spotted moray eel came out of nowhere to attempt to eat teh Octo. Unfortunately for the eel he bounced (Fortunately for the Octopus) off of the crab shell underneath the octopus. As the Octopus fled he utilized his rear two arms while keeping the others up off the sand. It was a real Discovery Channel moment.

According to discovery channel in one of thier "these are the animals of the future" shows, the Octopus and squid are among the likely candidates to inherit the earth after man's demise. Due to their intelligence and survivability (compared to other intelligent animals in the sea that will likely be wiped out before man)

jagfish:
According to discovery channel in one of thier "these are the animals of the future" shows, the Octopus and squid are among the likely candidates to inherit the earth after man's demise. Due to their intelligence and survivability (compared to other intelligent animals in the sea that will likely be wiped out before man)

That could be sooner than you think, cephalapods inheriting the Earth, based on this thread Otter started. Intelligence is relative, after all, and it seems some of the humans hasten the demise of others due to their lack of it. Maybe we can get a campaign going like the ones currently running about the effects of secondhand tobacco smoke. . .

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96379

jagfish:

Shows like that make biologists cringe. This is somewhere between semi-science and pseudo-science. I'd kick these film writers in the pants if they strayed into my lab. Better yet, I'd enroll them in our spring invertebrate zoology course.

This is an old thread resurrected, but *damn* that's impressive. I love seeing animals think. It lends credibility to my own ideas about creation and evolution :)

Oops, I DID resurrect an old thread. My bad.

Hey I don't mind, I don't think I saw it the first time around :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom