Marine Biology - Distance Learning or On-line questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_dog

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone

Is there anyone out here who has actually found and enrolled in a Marine Biology or a Marine study/Conservation course that would be willing to share with me where they studied and their experiences?

Let me explain!
I am an older diver, at instructor level with PADI, Masters educated but not in any marine science. I would love to be able to do a part-time course of study which maybe (hopefully) would lead to a qualification of some sort. I don't care that it may take a long time or geographically where it may emanate from but at present it does have to be distance learning for the most part (I could see summer school or similar working as part attendance)

I would like ultimately be able to consider a volunteer role somewhere but that's secondary.

I've looked around but everything I've found seems to either be part of another dive-unrelated course or requires attendance.

Am I way off the mark with this request?

Has anyone actually found/enrolled/completed such studies? Or any other ideas very welcome.

Please do let me know

Thank you so much from an old scuba dog!

I found one at Berkeley (extensions: course # 107) and a second one at Empire State college (course # SMT-273374). Sent you a PM with the links... I'm too new here to post them in a message :depressed:

I found one at Berkeley (extensions: course # 107) and a second one at Empire State college (course # SMT-273374). Sent you a PM with the links... I'm too new here to post them in a message :depressed:
Thanks Lemna (thanks for pm!)
I have had a look at those and in the case of Berkeley its a part unit over 6 months. Its certainly an option but I'm rather hoping for something more structured over a longer period.

However I might be living in a dreamworld :)
Scuba_dog

Is there a focus area in the marine sciences that you're interested in? Biological, or physical science-oriented type studies. There are so many niches involved in the marine sciences.

Cheers,

X

Is there a focus area in the marine sciences that you're interested in? Biological, or physical science-oriented type studies. There are so many niches involved in the marine sciences.

Cheers,

X
Hi X
That's a really good question!
There is nothing special - I had hoped that specialities might have come out in due course of study.
I guess like all divers is fundamentally about conservation, doing my bit etc but I do definitely like the physical science side - there is a fascination there for sure
/Scuba_dog

Hi dog,

You may be able to take certain required courses as online classes, but ultimately I think any marine biology program worth its...ahem...salt would require a significant hands-on component. If you are looking for a degree, you will need the basic chemistry, physics, organic chemistry courses, all with labs and unless you have lots of hydrochloric acid, an HPLC and a fumehood in your house, these have to be done at school and often taken at the same time as the lecture.

You could pick a school (I tend to go with University of Hawaii) planning to move there in a few years and start taking distance learning classes for the general education stuff (history, math, ethics, etc.).

Hope this helps.

I'd like to take a look at the links. I'm in a quite similar condition as scuba_dog...

The OP has a masters degree in something, so presumably she won't have to repeat the undergraduate stuff and there are many masters degrees that aren't research (lab) oriented but rather paper based. That being said, the only classes that I know about are at Oregon State. They have several classes in marine biology. Getting a masters on-line will be tougher unless you just want the piece of paper.
Bill

Hi dog,

You may be able to take certain required courses as online classes, but ultimately I think any marine biology program worth its...ahem...salt would require a significant hands-on component. If you are looking for a degree, you will need the basic chemistry, physics, organic chemistry courses, all with labs and unless you have lots of hydrochloric acid, an HPLC and a fumehood in your house, these have to be done at school and often taken at the same time as the lecture.

You could pick a school (I tend to go with University of Hawaii) planning to move there in a few years and start taking distance learning classes for the general education stuff (history, math, ethics, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Hi
Thanks for your reply - I think you are probably right. I guess I was hoping for a summer school type environment to try and achieve that but its probably not viable unless I pitch in full time or try and build a course as it were from series of units. I may just go and do some separate units for the hell of it as it will likely take more away-from-home commitment that I can give it.

But thanks again
/Scuba_dog

Back
Top Bottom