Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: All funding cut for Aquarius

Registered

Reading here, responding
    elsewhere

S Florida. If you like the water, there's no where else
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    So color me stupid, but who exactly funds NOAA? I was under the assumption it came out of the federal budget

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Nuclear Engineer at Spree

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Reck Diver View Post
    So color me stupid, but who exactly funds NOAA? I was under the assumption it came out of the federal budget
    In the case of the "Party Boat", it was funded from fines received from illegal fishing. Those fines cannot go into the federal budget, so LE is allowed to use the proceeds to support LE activities. Most LE organizations are using that type of money to buy fuel for their LE boats, etc.
    Capt Frank Wasson
    M/V Spree
    www.spreeexpeditions.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    OK. So where does NOAA's annual budget originate?
    I've never taken a GUE or UTD class. I guess I'm just DIRong.

Diving Polymath

waiting for the next dive.

On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated population center on the face of the earth. 2,175 miles to Alaska, 2,390 miles to California; 3,850 miles to Japan; 4,900 miles to China; 5,280 miles to the Philippines.
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Here's next year's request: NOAA Budget Office - FY 2012 Blue Book (Budget Summary)

It does not include things like illegal fishing fines.
    I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.

"Too often ... people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - Leapfrog
    "They are the McDonalds of diver certification. Quick, inexpensive and tasty. Pardon me for saying so, but I also believe it to be a health hazard." - DCBC
    "It truly does boil down to motivation ... if you believe something is hard, or unnecessary to learn, you won't learn it ... even if it's completely within your capability" - Bob (Grateful Diver)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    So NOAA is in fact funded via the Federal Gov't.

Thank you.
    I've never taken a GUE or UTD class. I guess I'm just DIRong.

Diving Polymath

waiting for the next dive.

On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated population center on the face of the earth. 2,175 miles to Alaska, 2,390 miles to California; 3,850 miles to Japan; 4,900 miles to China; 5,280 miles to the Philippines.
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Most of NOAA is, some of it isn't. I believe that there are some user fees in there too.
    I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.

"Too often ... people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - Leapfrog
    "They are the McDonalds of diver certification. Quick, inexpensive and tasty. Pardon me for saying so, but I also believe it to be a health hazard." - DCBC
    "It truly does boil down to motivation ... if you believe something is hard, or unnecessary to learn, you won't learn it ... even if it's completely within your capability" - Bob (Grateful Diver)

Registered

Reading here, responding
    elsewhere

S Florida. If you like the water, there's no where else
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassamania View Post
    Most of NOAA is, some of it isn't. I believe that there are some user fees in there too.
    There are user fees throughout the federal government, I pay one every time I enter Everglades National Park for instance. However please don't discount that without the "we the people" paying taxes, the people running around on the NOAA party boat would have to find honest employment.

New User

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Too bad funding was cut. I did 2 Hydrolab (predecessor to Aquarius) missions at St. Croix in the mid '80s. Tremendous opportunity to get alot of reef research done in short time. Unfortunately, it appears our government can no longer afford such things. Just like each of us, when money is tight you have to prioritize........

ScubaBoard Author

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quick update:
    A new nonprofit has been formed, Aquarius Foundation. I will post the new web site soon.
    We are working on a BOD and there are about 16 on the Advisory Board as of this date.
    There are folks right now in DC attending Capital Hill Ocean Week functions talking about Aquarius.
    Our next meeting is June 12th, hope to have more info to share at that point.

As always, I welcome your feedback on this forum or a PM.

Thanks.

Aquarius Foundation's first Board Meeting
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=99e4b72e68
    Last edited by timg; June 6th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

ScubaBoard Author

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    July 11 Update:

Training has started or the July mission. Aquanauts are:
    Sylvia Earle
    Mark Patterson
    DJ Roller
    Dale Stokes

Saturation begins July 14, they come out on July 21.

Right now there are some live feeds during training, but the whole mission goes live on the 14th.

We have a YouTube Aquarius Reef Base - YouTube and UStream.TV link Aquarius Reef Base, Ustream.TV: Aquarius is an underwater laboratory and home to scientists for missions up to 10 days long, but to call Aquarius a home is...

Foundation is proceeding, planning, making connections and we have a very optimistic outlook.

Stay tuned.

I am diving there tomorrow with Miami Herald reporter Cammy Clark, so watch for her story this weekend.

Once the mission begins, I will post updates from the main site and the FB sites.
    ARB: https://www.facebook.com/AquariusReefBase
    Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquar...79290845466951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast