Nitrile Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. Maybe a medic will see this post and be able to answer.

I was purchasing some more supplies for my first-aid bag and noticed I need more nitrile gloves.

Is there a preferred brand/style/thickness for first responders...or are nitrile first aid gloves pretty much all the same?

Thank you.

I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. Maybe a medic will see this post and be able to answer.

I was purchasing some more supplies for my first-aid bag and noticed I need more nitrile gloves.

Is there a preferred brand/style/thickness for first responders...or are nitrile first aid gloves pretty much all the same?

Thank you.

Sorry for the hijack, but what is the difference (other than $$$) betweenn "medical" Nitrile gloves and that box of 100 I get at Harbor Freight for <$8.00 ?

Sorry for the hijack, but what is the difference (other than $$$) betweenn "medical" Nitrile gloves and that box of 100 I get at Harbor Freight for <$8.00 ?

No apology needed John...thats exactly what I was trying to ask, but you framed it better than I did! I was just wondering if the "medical" nitrile gloves were perhaps less resistant to tearing and exposing the wearer to body fluids. In all honesty they're probably just like scuba fins. The $50 fins get you back to the boat just the same as the $200 fins.

Did a quick check. Both are 100% Nitrile so both latex free. Powder free available. The exam gloves (one sample) are 4.2 mil and the Harbor Freight's are 5 mil. Seems pretty comparable to me. Just no stamp of government approval and its associated added cost. But it does look like the Harbor Freight is one size fits all only.

We switched to nitrile a while back and we've found that the quality can vary quite a bit, even among different models made by the same manufacturer. The manufacturer we use makes several different types. The first type we tried, the one used by the hospital floors, tore very easily - we'd have a tendency to find holes in our fingers at some inopportune moments. We switched to the type that our ED uses, same manufacturer but different model, and we've been very happy with them. They are much stronger and you have to try pretty hard to tear them.

The thick Harbor Freight gloves are pretty tough, but you lose a little dexterity because of that. If, <insert your choice of deity> forbid I found my carcass inside an ER and the doctors were passing around a box of heavy duty HF gloves, I don't think that I'd be too thrilled. And if they started pulling Harbor Freight surgical instruments out of the autoclave, well goodnight Irene.
I got a box of nitriles from Costco, and they work ok plus they had XL instock.

Tom. You're not likely to see anything cost effective at an ER, at least not in the US. But at our little urgent care, if the HF tools did the job and were suitable to autoclave, I'd give it a go. In fact, at a medical conference a few years ago, the speaker was recommending a magnet (available from your local auto store) to remove certain metal FB's.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom