How do i prepare for DM exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepyhead

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I'm going for a package of rescue and dm course back to back. I was wondering if any pros can instruct me on early on preparation before i reach Australia for my classes?

How tough is the theory and practical sides? What parts of the material in the texts are the killers??
Thanks

sleepyhead:
Hi
I'm going for a package of rescue and dm course back to back. I was wondering if any pros can instruct me on early on preparation before i reach Australia for my classes?

How tough is the theory and practical sides? What parts of the material in the texts are the killers??
Thanks

Get the PADI encyclopedia of diving that covers most of the theory.

Which part is tough depends on you! I found the physics easy but the medical terms tough

Do they do the book(s) in ebook form ? Im travelling with a palm so would be ideal rather than lugging large amounts of Scottish pulp in my rucksack lol

There is an electronic version on CD-ROM, used it when I did my DM three years ago!!

Get the knowledge workbook and encyclopedia before you go. The workbook will guide your reading and quiz you, it was the best tool for me during my DM course. I would also get the DM crewpack and fill out all the knowledge reviews in the manual. There are 5 tests that follow the workbook and 3 from the manual. Physics wasn't bad, physiology was a little tougher for me. Make sure you know the ear and I think every time I answered a question wrong it was supposed to be the "round window", so remember those parts.

It would probably be good to read the rescue manual and fill in the knowledge reviews as well.
Justin

sleepyhead:
Hi

Thanks
You didn't mention the agency? With PADI most of the testing is multiple guess so as long as you've read the material and have some common sense it is fairly easy.

Most people think either the physics or the physiology are the tough ones. IMHO the difficult exam is DM Conducted Programs. Most of the questions on this exam are not covered in any of the DM materials. PADI recommends buying the IM and you would need it for this exam, but if you buy the IM for a typical (non-rushed) DMC you will have spent a lot of money on an out of date book.

If you're trying to do one of those DM in two weeks kind of things make sure you've read all the materials, done the knowledge reviews & workbook. There is a signficicant amount of reading/writing involved and you proably won't have time to do it all.

James

James im hoping to work up to and complete my DM in 6-8 weeks would you still recommend not buying the books?

Fivetide:
James im hoping to work up to and complete my DM in 6-8 weeks would you still recommend not buying the books?
You should definatly get the DM Crew Pack and the Encyclopedia/Workbook. Your dive shop may require you to buy the IM or they may not.

The issue is that, once you buy the IM you have to use the Training Bullitins to keep it up to date. However, you don't get the Training Bullitins until after you become a DM. During that in between time your IM could become out of date. At $250 a pop, I'm holding off until after. My dive shop has a couple of copies of the IM that I can stop in a read anytime I'd like.

James Goddard:
but if you buy the IM for a typical (non-rushed) DMC you will have spent a lot of money on an out of date book.
James

If you get the digital instructor manual, it is updatable at the click of a button, and you can update the paper ones from the quarterly bulletins.

James Goddard:
If you're trying to do one of those DM in two weeks kind of things make sure you've read all the materials, done the knowledge reviews & workbook. There is a signficicant amount of reading/writing involved and you proably won't have time to do it all.

James

very good advice.

cancun mark:
If you get the digital instructor manual, it is updatable at the click of a button, and you can update the paper ones from the quarterly bulletins.
The problem with the digital is that you never really see the updates. And yes, you can up date paper with the bulletins, if you have acces to them, which is the issue. DMC's don't get them so unless you can beg, borrow or steal any you missed, the paper manual can be out of date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom