Jetty diving and tides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
SeaYoda:
The Destin Jetties may be calling my name on the 12th - high tide is 11:31 AM.

Got a Tide question for you.... and now this gives a perfect time to ask it... :)

Trying to figure out exactly how to read the Destin Tide tables at http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/get_pred.cgi?year=2005&stn=2650+Pensacola&secstn=Choctawhatchee+Bay,+East+Pass+(Destin)&thh=-0&thm=27&tlh=%2b1&tlm=20&hh=*0.46&hl=*0.46

cut-n-paste the first two weeks in Feb. (questions below it)
-----------------------------------------
February
Date Day Time Height Time Height Time Height Time Height Time Height
02/01/2005 Tue 02:32AM LST -0.1 L 03:16PM LST 0.4 H
02/02/2005 Wed 03:46AM LST -0.2 L 03:51PM LST 0.5 H
02/03/2005 Thu 05:02AM LST -0.3 L 04:49PM LST 0.6 H
02/04/2005 Fri 06:18AM LST -0.4 L 06:00PM LST 0.6 H
02/05/2005 Sat 07:30AM LST -0.4 L 07:13PM LST 0.7 H
02/06/2005 Sun 08:34AM LST -0.5 L 08:21PM LST 0.7 H
02/07/2005 Mon 09:28AM LST -0.5 L 09:22PM LST 0.7 H
02/08/2005 Tue 10:13AM LST -0.5 L 10:17PM LST 0.7 H
02/09/2005 Wed 10:47AM LST -0.4 L 11:11PM LST 0.6 H
02/10/2005 Thu 11:05AM LST -0.2 L
02/11/2005 Fri 12:09AM LST 0.4 H 10:53AM LST -0.0 L
02/12/2005 Sat 01:26AM LST 0.2 H 09:45AM LST 0.1 L 01:58PM LST 0.2 H 11:28PM LST 0.0 L
02/13/2005 Sun 01:49PM LST 0.3 H
02/14/2005 Mon 01:39AM LST -0.1 L 02:10PM LST 0.4 H

------------------------------

Ok... Here's my questions....

1. How exactly do I read these?
In 02/01/2005 Tue 02:32AM LST -0.1 L 03:16PM LST 0.4 H

Is 2:32am the 'Low' tide that is down -0.1 feet and high at 3:16pm up .4 feet? Low and high here assumed on the L and H after the time and measurement.
or is a different unit of measure than feet used also?

2. If the above question is true, then you stated that high tide on the 12th (feb) was at roughly 11:30pm but above they have a "L" on it which implies "low" tide to me..... so I'm kinda confused .

02/12/2005 Sat 01:26AM LST 0.2 H 09:45AM LST 0.1 L 01:58PM LST 0.2 H 11:28PM LST 0.0 L

Also odd that there are two "high" and two "low" if I'm reading this right.

3.) Are there better tide tables than these to use?

I found another time chart that says that Low tide is at 11:28am on the 12th also... So I'm just trying to learn here if I'm reading this right. Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain this.

oh... one more question to add to this... how is diving the jetties at Destin at low tide versus high tide?
-mike

The tables are listed in changes in MSL Mean Sea Level up or down in feet.

There are two high and two low tides every day.

The time on the second chart could be for a site further up the bay or river. Tide tables for a particular mile marker in a channel are interpolated from those at the mouth of the inlet.

Diving the jetties we generally start one hour before high tide. This allows you to finish your dive during slack current. High tide brings in clean water from the Gulf. Low tide brings in stained water from the bay.

Check the buoys - if they are standing straight up - do a dive
If they are leaning - go to the museum.

I normally use www.saltwatertides.com , but the information is nearly always identical to the NOAA site. I just find the saltwatertide site easier to navigate.

Sa 12 High 1:27 AM 0.2 6:29 AM Rise 8:57 AM 12
12 Low 9:44 AM 0.1 5:32 PM Set 9:49 PM
12 High 1:57 PM 0.2
12 Low 11:28 PM 0.0

I find it slightly clearer as well.

Saturday the 12th is a neap tide with small differences between high and low tides, this generally means there will not be as much clear water sucked in from the gulf. A steep change in water level indicates more water being sucked in or out - a high tide thats much higher than the previous low tide will generally bring in clearer water...and quicker currents when not at slack tide.

LOL :) Well that all depends on what you consider worth diving in :D

Whenever I dive Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, we dive during high, low, slack, mid-tide in hella current, whatever... but then again, its close and there is still alot to see(you just gotta be closer - usually within 5' or less during a low :wink: ).

If I'm diving as far off as Destin, I only make the trip timed to high-tide. Its a longer drive and I want to be there for its optimal conditions. If I want to dive in low vis, I can do it in Gulf Shores or Pensacola at whatever tide period.

The tide thing is very complicated. I tried searching the web for info and got a headache. I understand the principle but how you come up with what actually happens is pretty wild.

We normally have one high tide a day - on occasion we get two. Our tides do not change very much, only a couple feet between the lowest low and the highest high. The water from the bay with organic matter flows out until low tide when it slows down as "cleaner" water is pulled back in from the gulf until high tide. When slack tide occurs the force out equals the force in. This occurs near high tide and low tide but can vary. The strength of the tide (how high or low), weather, and currents will affect when the slack tide hits.

Locals say the best time to dive the Jetties is from high tide up to a couple hours after. Even then, I've still had some strong currents to deal with.

Water clarity is never great on low tides - lots of green/brown water from the bay. The clarity of the water on high tides is not always great but will almost always be better than low tide. The variables for high tide viz include; algae, storms in the gulf, strength of the tide, and currents. At least it will be more blue :D.

We're going to be in Destin March 19 thru 23 and we want to dive the Jetties and/or any other good place near there. I've been to Destin. I've pulled up the satellite images of the area and I'm still not sure where the Jetties are actually. Are they on the Fort Walton side of the bridge or the Destin side or both?? It looks like it could be both. We have been to Destin a number of times when we visit friends in Niceville but have not done any diving in Destin yet. I've researched but still consider the good folks at ScubaBoard the last word & best source of info. What Dive shop is the favorite there?
Any good clues/tips would be great ! Thanks !!
Who Knows .. maybe we'll see ya there !!

Frank ~

ScubaTech and Emerald Coast Scuba are both great shops. I've only dealt with ScubaTech personally, but have heard from several people that Emerald Coast is great as well.

As for the location of the jeddies... There are jeddies on both the east and west side of the pass - the east side is where people do most of their diving. To reach them, you'll want to get to Gulf Shore Drive and follow it past where it makes an "S" turn. At this point, be on watch for a gravel lane for public parking on the right side of the road. There will also be a single showerhead and a few signs that can be easy to miss marking the trail that leads out to the beach and the East Pass Jeddies.

Another bad thing about diving the low tides, that also reduces visibility, are the haloclines. They can be messy :)

My solution to low tides at jetties? Put on some thick-soled shoes and wade. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom