Help Identify This Whale Skull

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This whale skull washed up on the beach in front of my house today. I live next to the Channel Islands Harbor in California. It is approximately 5 feet long and weighs 100+ pounds. The whale was approximately 15 - 20 feet long (a baby I believe), had striations under its jaw, and a very small dorsal approximately 2/3rd's of the way back toward its tail. Thanks!

if you pm ishie she can probley help you , she is an anthropoligy major, she does know her stuff well, i sent her an e-mail to come and look at your thread if she gets time!!

pwfletcher:
This whale skull washed up on the beach in front of my house today. I live next to the Channel Islands Harbor in California. It is approximately 5 feet long and weighs 100+ pounds. The whale was approximately 15 - 20 feet long (a baby I believe), had striations under its jaw, and a very small dorsal approximately 2/3rd's of the way back toward its tail. Thanks!

So thats where you moved to. You doing any diving or just collecting shells (er skulls) on the beach :wink:

Whale Skull Identified - It is the skull of a baby Minke whale and has found a new home in a local natural history museum. Thanks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom