Mahahual, Quintana Roo-Dream Time Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been doing some research and we have decided to go to Mahahual. This is a town way down south in Yucatan. It is approximately 100 kilometeters north of Belize.

There is a dive resort that's called Dream Time Dive Resort. It is off the beaten path and very laid back. Once there one can dive the Chincorro Banks which is supposed to be awesome diving. The local reefs are incredible as well according to Sport Diver Mag.

Sport Diver's 2006 Resort Divers Edition had rave reviews about this resort. The diving is unlimited daily. Has anyone been there that can give me some insight regarding this great looking place ?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Good Viz,
George :help_2:

Also Try Maya Palms resort, one mile farther and you won't have to put up with the Cruise Boat crowd(ed) ...from all reports Dreamtime is a good operation, but I prefer my diving a little less commercial-ized and a lot smaller groups...just me, I like individualised attention...Maya Palms is owned by a LDS out of Missouri.Padi affiliated, go to the PADI site and they are listed.....$75 two tank dive, small groups, beach time with pool for non-divers...I had a great time with them two weeks ago!!!!

I saw where a new dive operator is also getting ready to open up.....So don't just go with the one with the biggest advertising budget,....:14:

I have posted my dive experience on the Chinchorro banks here and on the Cruise critic boards....

BTW- great pictures!!!

Ahoy there,
Thanx for the info. I was told that the tourist thing there was minimum, at the resort that is. With unlimited diving, I thought it was pretty cool. However I will take your advice and continue to do my research. I will also read your posts on Chinchorro Banks. Thanx for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Good Viz,
George

Hi George,

When are you planning to go to Mahahaul?

I'm going on vacation at the end of March & Mahahaul is actually one of my back-up plans.

Hi there
I learned how to dive with Dreamtime when they were still operating as Blue Ha and it was the best three weeks of my life. I’ve checked their website and they seem to have grown since I left a year ago (now they can house guests on the premises), but I can’t picture them becoming a big operation overcrowded with «boat people». Instructor Jono is extremely professionnal and safety-oriented, and both he and Tanya are very nice and ecology-conscious people. I regularily look for reviews on them on the Web and there’s only great feedback. And you won’t regret your diving in Mahahual. I just came back from the Red Sea and it was quite disappointing to see how damaged the reefs are. I’ve seen much nicer corals and sponges in Mahahual. Besides, the reef is so close from the shore that you can also swim and snorkel on your own.
As far as life outside the water goes : well, there’s not much to do in Mahahual, it’s all very quiet once the cruise ship leave, but that’s what’s so charming about the place. If you’re planning on diving everyday, you might want to stay at a place close from Blue Ha, as there are only 3 buses a day driving along the coast road (at least it was the case a year ago). But there are many taxis and it’s very safe and easy to get a ride from the locals (whom include manys expats). I stayed at Travel’s Inn (km 6, about 2 miles from Blue Ha), a great and inexpensive place owned by a sweet Dutch-British family, and never had trouble getting into town.
If you’d like more info, just let me know, I so love this place I could keep on babbling for pages.
Annlaur

Scuba-Rican:
I have been doing some research and we have decided to go to Mahahual. This is a town way down south in Yucatan. It is approximately 100 kilometeters north of Belize.

There is a dive resort that's called Dream Time Dive Resort. It is off the beaten path and very laid back. Once there one can dive the Chincorro Banks which is supposed to be awesome diving. The local reefs are incredible as well according to Sport Diver Mag.

Sport Diver's 2006 Resort Divers Edition had rave reviews about this resort. The diving is unlimited daily. Has anyone been there that can give me some insight regarding this great looking place ?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Good Viz,
George :help_2:

I am headed to Mahahual on Friday. We are staying at this place, http://www.margaritadelsol.com/, which is owned by fellow divers at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I have never been but I have heard great things and we are diving with Dreamtime. We are going to do a Chinchorro day trip as well. PM me next week to remind you and I will fill you in on the details when I get back.

Ahoy there Kat,
I am planning on going to Mahahual July 21st til the July 31st, 06. Looking forwared to diving Chinchorro Banks.

Good Viz,
George

P.S. See ya @ OWU

:14:

Ahoy there !
Could you please direct me to your post regarding Chinchorro Banks. I can't find it and if I stay here, I will get nothing done. Once I start surfing S.B. I can't stop. Gotta get therapy :)

Good Viz
George

annlaur:
Hi there
I learned how to dive with Dreamtime when they were still operating as Blue Ha and it was the best three weeks of my life. I’ve checked their website and they seem to have grown since I left a year ago (now they can house guests on the premises), but I can’t picture them becoming a big operation overcrowded with «boat people». Instructor Jono is extremely professionnal and safety-oriented, and both he and Tanya are very nice and ecology-conscious people. I regularily look for reviews on them on the Web and there’s only great feedback. And you won’t regret your diving in Mahahual. I just came back from the Red Sea and it was quite disappointing to see how damaged the reefs are. I’ve seen much nicer corals and sponges in Mahahual. Besides, the reef is so close from the shore that you can also swim and snorkel on your own.
As far as life outside the water goes : well, there’s not much to do in Mahahual, it’s all very quiet once the cruise ship leave, but that’s what’s so charming about the place. If you’re planning on diving everyday, you might want to , I so love this place I could keep on babbling for pages.Annlaur

DO I SMELL A SHILL FOR A DIVE OPERATOR????Most of us write about other things, camera's trips our home countries etc. what we hate about mares/etc. but when i checked your other posts i found that all you write about is the resort...hmmmm maybe a shill here...what do you guys think???:06: and BTW you have babbled on for 6 pages seprately.....

Sorry if I am boring you. BTW enlighten me, I'm slow, what is a SHILL ?

Babbler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom