Has anyone dove in Rocky Point, Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isp475

Reaction score
I am looking for some information on Rocky Point, Mexico. Has anyone from the board dove there? I will be down visiting family in the Phoenix area in November and was curious about Rocky Point as a dive destination. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim

Tim

I'm not from that area, but my sister lives in TUcson and dives. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Arizona divers head for San carlos or Himalaya Bay (sp) When we trekked out there last summer, I was determined to go to Kino Bay and somehow thought it would be a divers paradise. Don't even ask why I thought that. Anyway it was a sand shelf and not interesting at all. The only dive shop there had closed. I do not know specifically about Rocky Point. Also Check the search function, I found some infor about inland diving in AZ in some lakes.

Being in a border town myself, I ca not believe what kind of red tape and expense you guys have to endure to get into MX. In detroit we pay no more than 3 bucks and say were are from the US going into CAnada because its there. NO Federalies for :)

I've been to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) many many times, but never on a dive trip. I have been there on hundreds of "beach bum" trips and I also snorkeled in a few different areas of the bay.

Rocky Point does have some great beaches and a nice surf. But there is a wicked tidal current. Somebody told me that Rocky Point actually has the biggest tidal differences in the world (the area is sooooo shallow and sandy that the water literally moves hundreds of feet out during low tide).

In all honesty, there isn't much to see in Rocky Point anymore. The area was heavily overfished and much of the marine life is gone. I used to go there when I was younger (1970's) and the area was vastly different. You'll see a bunch of sand bars, sting rays and possibly some trigger fish, but not much else.

As the last post said, San Carlos is a popular dive destination for those in Arizona and a much better one than Rocky Point. The drive is a little further -- about 3 hours longer from Phoenix -- but it's well worth the trip if you want to dive.

So if you're only wanting to dive, San Carlos is probably a better bet. But if you just want to hang out on a nice beach with a beer in your hand, then by all means try Rocky Point!

Thx...Doug

I went on a trip last week with a friend that didn't want to dive the lakes as they are way too murky, we couldn't afford California or San Carlos so he loves Rocky Point..

Took the 4.5 hour drive from the East Valley of Phoenix, made sleeping arrangements as was in the water at the ONLY place to do any sort of diving by 1:30pm.

you can dive at Sandy Beach but all you'll see is sand

We dove behind Vina Del Mar just below the LightHouse Resturant.

depth at full tide 24 feet viz 15 feet lots of surge

they were things to see mostly a Parrot fish, though nudibranches and chocolate chip star fishes and grunts were shot.

we found a Flounder that showed his teeth as we petted him.

I consider Rocky Point one step above the Local Valley lakes as it is clearer..

San Carlos is the way to go as is further south and west.

I heard last summer from my dive group that their is a new outfit in Rocky Point. From what they said their is a reef that is out off the coast that this new outfit makes their dives at. Get this. They recently poulled a Great Whit from a small town near Rocky Point. Kinds of scary, this Great White was in the shallows.
Check the link below on the story
Great White in the Sea of Cortez.

Back
Top Bottom