Trip to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkenwood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings All,

I am going to Cancun Mexico at the end of March 07, and have never been there before. I hope to take in at least a couple of dives that week. Has anyone visited that area and have any recomendations on the best Scuba Centers etc. I have checked online and Manta Divers seems to have some great tours. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

My reccomendation - take a trip over to Cozumel and dive there. The water conditions in Cancun are typically quite rough, and there isn't much to see.

Unfortunately the Cozumel trip will take most of the day. It is abiout 45 minutes down to Playa del Carmen for the Ferry across. There are dive operators in Cancun that offer the trip to Cozumel, or you can arrange your dives in advance with one of the Cozumel operators.

Thanks you for all the advice. can't wait to get there.

mkenwood:
Thanks you for all the advice. can't wait to get there.

We're leaving for Cancun, tomorrow. Not a dive trip, per se, but the wives gaves us the go ahead to get a couple of dives in.:wink:

We booked a wreck dive and a Cenotes dive, through Manta Divers.

I can't qualify that, "there isn't much to see" in Cancun, until I see for myself. I do agree with jinjer about Cozumel. I dove there a couple of few times, pre-Ivan, and it was beautiful. The currents were pretty swift their too.

The folks that I've talked to say that the reefs in Cancun are in very nice shape and there's a good abundance of of sea-life. (some say there is more life on the Cancun reefs than Coz) We'll see.

Please shoot me a PM, after next week, and I'll be happy to give you a first-hand account.

Mike, Cancun is a prety well established resort area, so there is plenty to do there especially on the day trip side of things. I would highly reccommend a day or two in the cenotes (particularly with your dive experience level) and Coz is definately worth a trip if you havent been there before.

Cancun is not always rough, contrary to someones opinion, it is the freaking Carribbean, how rough can it be????

I know that it was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma last year, as I was there and saw what a cat five hurricane can do when it sits on your head for 48 hours, but if you are with family or non divers dont dismiss Cancun for a couple of quickie two tank trips, especially if you go to the wrecks or the deeper reefs and avoid the multitudes of resort divers on the shallow reefs.

Cancun has plenty of dive sites, especially for the better diver. Talk to your operator about what type of dive you'd like to make, he'll find a spot worthy.

I dove with scuba cancun, and find their staff very pleasant. The 6 dives I did in cancun was worth while. I believe that the "bandera" reef was great with my night dive. I have never seen such a large accumulation of parrot fish in my life - having night dive in hawaii before. WOW.... It was kinda freaky, as the day dive revealed 1/10 the number of parrot fish, but at night, they must come there to sleep. On the same dive, we saw one very large logger head, and two sleeping bull sharks.

The water was rough only for 1 day (my night dive), due to hurricane Rita just off the coste. Yes, you have to be careful reboarding the dive boats, some have very short steps, and they can smash your head if a surge went by. I had my shin scraped by the old steps they had on "scuba cancun"'s little boats. Aquaworld had much nicer boats, but I don't trust their staff.

I also dived with Scuba Cancun and was quite impressed. Also, they do offer trips to Coz as well as to the Cenotes. I highly recommend them.

We dove with Manta divers 2 years ago and really like the op. Keep in mind They are in Mexico so things aren't quite like the US. Scheduleing is a little lax but go with the flow. The op is owned by a couple out of Texas who moved there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom