Puerto Morelos May 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcbritton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be staying at the Paradisus Riviera Maya May 2-6. I have the option of diving each day at the resort as a part of the all inclusive package. Has anyone dove with the resort operation? I want to maximize my diving and I believe their dives are one tank dives to 60 ft. I am considering another operator to go to a cenote and also a day on Cozumel. Any suggestions for the day on Cozumel or at a cenote?

I've dove with 2 different operators in that area and both were good. The 1st is a small shop right in Puerto Morales called Dive Puerto Morales. The owner's name is Cat (she's from Australia I believe). A small operation, but GREAT people and intimate diving. We had 4 divers to one divemaster, so it was certainly not a cattle boat. After diving, we went back to the shop, bought a 6-pack, sat in the sun and shared stories - one of my favorite things to do post dive with new friends. Someone told me that Cat may have sold the shop, so be sure to ask before you get down there.

The 2nd place was Dive Aventuras (www.diveaventuras.com) which isn't a bad cab ride for you and located in Puerto Aventuras. Definitley a bigger operation, but nice people and good equipment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I jad seen Dive Puerto Morelos on the the web and they are one I am considering. Did you see or hear anything about Wet Set Diving in Puerto Morelos?

Sorry - don't know anything about Wet Set Diving. I hope Cat is still the owner at Dive Puerto Morales. The Divemaster (can't think of his name) was a great guy from Utah who's living the dream - got tired of the grind and moved from Utah to Puerto Morales to dive every day. There was also a young guy working there, originally from Virginia (Phil) - he was working his way up to Instructor level. Good people.

Sharkdiver_Mac:
. I hope Cat is still the owner at Dive Puerto Morales. The Divemaster (can't think of his name) was a great guy from Utah who's living the dream - got tired of the grind and moved from Utah to Puerto Morales to dive every day. There was also a young guy working there, originally from Virginia (Phil) - he was working his way up to Instructor level. Good people.
Cat has sold the business but is still around dealing in local real estate. Bret is the DM there and is a GREAT guy -- all the folks there are awesome! Great dive op!!

Myself and my dive buddy Scott will be in the area the first week of May for our fourth year in a row! Love the little town of Puerto Morelos!

There is a local law that you must sign the wall inside the dive shop of DPM:D

I did 7 dives with Wet Set about a month ago and recommend them highly. Paul Hensley runs a very solid operation, and seems to have a large and devoted following. They are located at the Hotel Ojo de Agua--Paul arranged a good lodging package there for my buddy and me.

Puerto Morelos is a nice place--it was always kind of homely and sleepy and still is. The mega-development of the coast has for the most part blown right past it. Try to spend some time in the town while you're there--check out the bookstore, Alma Libre.

I often dream of retiring and moving to Puerto Morelos. Nice little town like mentioned above!!

I have emails in to both Wet Set and Dive Purto Morelos. They both apprear to be very qualified outfits. Thank you for the help. Any dive in particular you enjoyed? Would you make the effort to go to Cozumel for one day or just make it easy on myself and stay with dive shop in PM? Did you dive any of the cenotes?

Hi, we just got back from staying in Puerto Morelos. Rented a villa just down the road from Paradisus. Paradisus looks to be a very beautiful place. You don't mention if you will have transportation but there are many taxi's parked right outside the resort so it would be easy to get to any of the dive centers in Puerto Morelos.

We dove with Wet Set and it was great. They have several dive sites they have found on there own that are incredible! Max we had was 8 people on a dive and Paul has Jon & Debbie running the operation for him currently. They are his new partners. They were great and one thing I really liked about wet set is they don't charge for any extra equiptment. You pay for your dives and if you need BC, Reg, flashlight... it is included in the cost!

We did go out to Cozumel for diving one day by taking the ferry over and using another operation and we were nickled for every item we needed to rent. We always travel with our mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuits but that's it.

Let me know what else you would like to know. I am working on getting my photo's posted but just not there yet. I would recommend a night dive if you have not done one before. We went to Alberts Reef and it was the best. Got to see the turtles, huge lobster, puffers and so much more!

Marsha

Marsha,

Thank you for the great feedback. I will probably dive at least two days with Wet Set. How was the trip to Cozumel? Was it worth it from a time invested/better quality dive standpoint? Did you dive a cenote during your trip? Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first trip diving in Mexico and don't want to miss anything.

Thank you,
Kin:D

Back
Top Bottom