boat found in veracruz waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveasr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
please see this note
(in spanish)
RANGO EXTENDIDO, EXPLORACIONES

Luis Sánchez , Arturo Fernández y Rafael Castellanos

DESCUBRIMIENTO DE UN BARCO HUNDIDO EN VERACRUZ,MX.

El pasado fin de semana estuvimos buscando un barco hundido que era un mito dentro de los habitantes del Estado de Veracruz, ya que había reportes de un barco que se hundió en la década de los 1940’s que transportaba unos autos de aquel entonces. Y no se sabia bien la posición exacta de este hundimiento.
Pues Alejandro ,el dueño del servicio de buceo “Arrecife” en Antón Lizardo, Ver. Se puso a la tarea de buscar información de el área donde podría encontrarse este interesante barco y nosotros de llevar equipo necesario para poder realizar esta inmersión considerando que podía estar a mas de 200 pies. De profundidad en mar abierto y con condiciones adversas.

Habiendo preparado ya todo el equipo necesario salimos en búsqueda del barco, esto es en mar abierto a muchas millas afuera de los arrecifes , después de casi 2 horas de buscarlo con 3 GPS’s y dos eco zondas encontramos un área donde se veían atravez de la pantalla del sonar muchos peces y algunos cambios bruscos de profundidad, lo que podía indicarnos que podría estar ahí.
wr
wr

Tiramos el ancla y apostamos por la posibilidad de encontrarlo, bajamos cada uno con 3 tanques, dos de aire y uno de nitrox 36, el agua estaba cristalina , bajamos hasta 175 pues de profundidad donde estaba un fondo arenoso y el agua ya no muy clara no veíamos el barco y pensábamos que era un intento fallido, al ver a lo lejos ,vi una pedacería de un barco lo que me ilusiono ya que podría estar cerca, tomamos rumbo todos lo buzos y gran sorpresa, ahí estaba!!!!!
Un barco como de 30 mts. De eslora( largo) con mucha vida marina, vimos 2 grandes chernas, de las que se ven poco debido a su tamaño( de mas de 2 mts.), atunes y jacks asi como peces angel y un sinfín de vida marina pequeña.
Encontamos un auto( carrito de lo años 1940’s) con sus llantas, diferencial y radiador, pedaceria de otros carritos y en la popa cientos de botellas antiguas, no lo podiamos creer!!!!!
Asi como costales ( no sabemos de que) y discos.
wr
wr
wr

Este buceo supero por mucho nuestras expectativas!!!, era un barco hundido intacto!!!
Este buceo lo repetimos al día siguiente y pudimos apreciar mas todo lo que aquí había!!!!
Regresaremos a este barco para realizar una exploración mas en forma.

Cabe mercionar que en un buceo que realizamos por la tarde en un arrecife bajo, nos toco ver mas de 200 sábalos a tres metros nuestros y con muchísima visibilidad y la mayoría median 2 mts. De largo, fue todo un show!

Nuestro tiempo de fondo de cada inmersion fue de 15 minutos por mas de una hora de descompresión.

El grupo de buzos técnicos que asistió a esta exploración fueron:

Lourdes del Olmo, Raúl Cos, Claudio Arce, Alejandro López y Luis Sánchez.
wr
wr

Estamos a sus ordenes:

RANGO EXTENDIDO SA DE CV

PAGINA: http://www.rangoextendido.com

Luis Sánchez 55183636 luis@rangoextendido.com
Arturo Fernández 56819714 arturo@rangoextendido.com
Rafael Castellanos 0445554079189 rafael@rangoextendido.com

btw the links are great images

PS i was sent this by lourdes del olmo, one of the divers

Um, is there an interpretor in the house?

sorry
i m translating it myself, just might take a little longer, probably one or two hours

Extended Range, Explorations

Luis Sánchez , Arturo Fernández and Rafael Castellanos

Discovery of a sunken ship in VERACRUZ,MX.

Last weekend, we were looking for a sunken ship that was a myth amoung the inhabitants of the state of Veracruz. There were reports of a ship that sunk in the 1940’s that was transporting contemporary cars. Nothing was known about the excat position of this wreck.
Alejandro, the owner of the dive operation “Arrecife” [lit. Reef] at Antón Lizardo, Veracruz, started to research information about the possible location of this interesting ship while we brought the equipment necessary to realize this dive, considering that the wreck could be deeper than 200' in open ocean and adverse conditions.

Having prepared all the necessary gear, we left in search of the ship in open water.. many miles outside the reefs. After almost two hours of searching with 3 GPS’s and two sonars [each of these a separate search boat??? this is implied] we found an area where sonar showed schools of fish and abrupt changes in depth... which could indicate that the wreck was there.

We set the anchor and bet abotu the possibility of finding it. We each dove with 3 tanks - 2 air, 1 36EAN. In cyrstaline water, we descended to 175' where we found a sandy bottom and decreased visibility. We could not see the wreck and thought it was a failed attempt. Looking further out, I pieces of a ship... this lightened my spirit since it could be close by. we all headed towards it and there it was!!!

A ship abotu 30 meters long. Of ???? with lots of marine life on it. we saw 2 big chernas(???) the kind which are rarely seen due to their size (> 2 meteres), tuna and jacks, as well as angel fish and endless tiny marine life [nudis?].
WE found a 1940's car with wheels, differential and radiator. fragments of other cars and hundreds of old bottle. we could not believe it!!!!!
As well as costales(???) (we don't knwo of what) and music records.

this dive wen above all our expectations!!! it was an intact wreck!
we repeated the dive the following day and could appreciate all that there was!!!
we will return to this wreck for a more formal exploration.

I forgot to mention that in an afternoon dive at a deep reef, we got to see more than 200 sábalos[???] 3 meters away from us and lots of great visibility. most of them were two meters. frankly, it was quite a show!

Each dive's bottom time was 15 minutes with more than an hour of deco.

the technical divers that helped this exploration were:

Lourdes del Olmo, Raúl Cos, Claudio Arce, Alejandro López and Luis Sánchez.

thanx
just clearing it up

eslora, wich means the length of the boat, would be about 100ft
costales are bags
sabalos are tarpons, i think???? scientific name is [SIZE=-1]Megalops Atlanticus, any ichtologist in house????[/SIZE]
chernas are like bass
i think that the gps were separate to triangulate the wreck position

if anyone needs further explanation please do ask

PS the diver who sent me this said they counldnt use helium because not all the divers had helium cert

Chernas are Groupers and Sabalos are Tarpons

Yes, I know it as Mero as well... I believe cubans call them chernas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom