Water temperature in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anyone know what the water temp in Cancun is in March - the first week. Also as far as wet or dry suites, what does one recomend?

Thanks - Greg

I was there in February a few years ago, dove a short 3 mil wetsuit and was not ever cold. My wife dove with no wetsuit and wasn't cold either. I don't remember what the water temp was but you can get by with little to nothing in the line of a suit. I had the suit and like the protection from chaffing by straps and seems so I wore it and was very comfy.

hey greg,
first week of march, expect 79f/80f, 3mm suit will keep you covered or all your diving needs! full suit perferably!
ben

Thanks Ben.

I have a 3mm and a 5mm both full suit. I will take them both. I'll star with the 3 and see what happens. BTW...I am staying at the Noon Palace in Cancun. do you know of a good shop close by?

Regards - Greg

greg
the moon palace is around 25mins from all the dive shops in cancun, its just on the start of the freeway so out of the hotel zone.
in the moon palace aquaqorld is the dive op, nice boats, but a BIG operation, if you d like a smaller op drop a line and i ll see what we can work out, caverns are a must and the wreck dive in cancun too!
5mm would be perfect for the caverns, 3mm for the ocean

ben

I was wondering if anyone know what the water temp in Cancun is in March - the first week. Also as far as wet or dry suites, what does one recomend?

Thanks - Greg
Hi there Manta.
I dive twice a year around Cancun on 4 week holidays in March & Sept the waters are very warm almost all year round. Take some good clear advice wear a dive suit, why!! Fire coral,
For one, and other coral. If you’re planning going to wrecks wear a suit. Some coral sting!!! Some are painful!! There are 2 temperatures in the sea its warm to around 15 to 25 feet. the a little cooler. most experience divers can stay under for 1 hour on a full single tank of air.if you have no suit the cooler waters will make you feel cold. therefor you wont want to stay down that length of time.suits are for protection, that makes your dive a fun experience, not a uncomfortable one.
around cancun waters you'll have excellent dives.
enjoy. pete

Hi there Manta.
I dive twice a year around Cancun on 4 week holidays in March & Sept the waters are very warm almost all year round. Take some good clear advice wear a dive suit, why!! Fire coral,
For one, and other coral. If you’re planning going to wrecks wear a suit. Some coral sting!!! Some are painful!! There are 2 temperatures in the sea its warm to around 15 to 25 feet. the a little cooler. most experience divers can stay under for 1 hour on a full single tank of air.if you have no suit the cooler waters will make you feel cold. therefor you wont want to stay down that length of time.suits are for protection, that makes your dive a fun experience, not a uncomfortable one.
around cancun waters you'll have excellent dives.
enjoy. pete
you wont need a dry suit my friend just remember where cancun is!!! not the artic!! no,not the south pole. ah ha!! you got it!! its in the Caribbean. do you know where that is ?? do you know the caribbean is a hot place.. 3mm suit is plenty any more than that you.ll swet ...lol
i have dived there just in shorts ,,, with dive equipment of course. have a nice time. want an instructor to show you where to dive get in contact with Alvaro Gonzalez at Always Diving on the web OR
subal9@hotmail.com regards pete

You will need a 3mm long suit at least 5mm long suit will be good at 100 feet.I dove there in Jan with a 3mm shorty thats all aqua world had and I was cold. The Dive masters all had 5mm suits.
And remember its winter so if your prone to sea sickness take something the nite before and in the morning you can get up to 8 foot seas this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom