Best ride from Cancun airport to Puerto Morelos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get from the Cancun airpot to PM. Is there a bus from the airport that does not backtrack into Cancun? How much is taxi from airport to PM. Are there taxi's available at Cancun airport or is it like Cozumel and only the white vans?

Then 4 days later we will need to get to Playa to catch the ferry over to Cozumel. Does the bus run from PM to PDC? How much is taxi from PM to PDC?

The ADO bus that runs from the Cancun Airport to the Playa bus terminal will stop at Puerto Morelos (the ADO stop is on Hwy 307) if you request it in advance with the driver. The fare to Playa is 80 pesos. You'll have to ask at either the ticket counter in the airport, or the bus driver for the Puerto Morelos price. It does not go into Cancun. Just straight out of the airport on to Hwy 307 and down to Playa.

A pre-booked private transfer to PM run about $55 (one-way) and a shared ride is around $20-25pp (one way).

Puerto Morelos to Playa by taxi should be about $25-30. Collectivo, $5pp (but not a good choice if you have more then a carry-on size piece of luggage each). And I believe the ADO bus will stop if there are people waiting and you flag it down, but I don't know what that fare is.

Getting back from Playa to the airport you can book a private transfer for about $65-70, a shared ride for about $20-25 pp, or take ADO for 80 pesos pp.

Home - Cancun Valet
Mexico Hotels, Mexico Travel Destination Guide, Mexico Vacations

Not sure if you're planning on diving in Puerto Morales, but there's a nice little shop there (Dive Puerto Morales). Owned by a guy from Utah - ask him to take you out to the old navy minesweeper wreck. Easy swim-through if you're qualified.

Can't be much help on the transportation stuff - we always had a shuttle set up through our travel agency. There are definitely a number of taxis at the cancun airport, though.

Good luck, have fun and dive safe.

Also remember to walk completely out of the airport before stopping to talk to anyone, unless you want to buy a time share. HaHa There are some local vans that run from Cancun to Playa and cost is $4 USD. They will have a green or orange stripe on the side of the van. Not real good for loading up a bunch of luggage but good for comming home from a dive when you don't want to fork over a fortune for a cab.

The bus sounds good as well as the orange or green striped vans. Especially to get from CAncun to PM. Might have to figure out how to be sure to get the bus to stop in PM to get us to Playa.

We will not have to worry about getting back. We are flying into Cancun and out of Cozumel this trip.
We will be diving a day or so in the ocean and probably a cenote as well. Trying to decide between WETSET, Dive Puerto Morelos or Aquanauts for the diving. Then on to Cozumel for 5 days.:)

I just used a shared ride van with ThomasMore Travel. Thomas More Travel For The Vacation Of A Lifetime In Cancun.

We went round trip to Cancun for like $20 US each. Taking the bus would be an adventure. Especially if you have lots of luggage/gear. Tough to keep track of. On the buses we took there, they always had performers working for tips. Great to support the locals but tough to carry a conversation or relax with a three piece band in the isle.

Just my 2¢ :D

If you take the bus to PM, be prepared to either walk a bit to your hotel or catch a cab from 307. The tourist area of PM is essentially on a barrier island with a mangrove swamp between PM and 307. You are probably looking at about a 3/4 mile walk.

PM is a nice slow little town that has missed most of the development along the coast. Wilma did extensive damage in '05. The last time we were there, the car ferry from PM to COZ was beached about 50 yards from the high tide mark. Impressive to see that big a ship on dry ground.

OK, Maybe a cab from the airport sounds better.

Or rent a car. Thought I saw on a site I could pick up a car at the airport and drop off in PDC.

I just used a shared ride van with ThomasMore Travel. Thomas More Travel For The Vacation Of A Lifetime In Cancun.

We went round trip to Cancun for like $20 US each. Taking the bus would be an adventure. Especially if you have lots of luggage/gear. Tough to keep track of. On the buses we took there, they always had performers working for tips. Great to support the locals but tough to carry a conversation or relax with a three piece band in the isle.

Just my 2¢ :D

What bus did you take? The ADO bus to/from the airport that I've taken is a modern, air conditioned coach. The only entertainment is a movie on the video monitor... sometimes in Spanish, sometimes in English.

Was this a tour company transfer bus that you were on? If so, completely different then the public buses.

If you take the bus to PM, be prepared to either walk a bit to your hotel or catch a cab from 307. The tourist area of PM is essentially on a barrier island with a mangrove swamp between PM and 307. You are probably looking at about a 3/4 mile walk.

There are a few local shops and loncheria type places on the highway right by the PM bus stop. If a taxi is not there, buy a beer or soda and ask if they can call one. Takes about 5-10 min for one to come from the playa side of the hwy and they'll charge you about $3-4 dollars for the ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom