Costa Maya Riviera, Maya Palms Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobredtop

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, we wanted to pass on some GREAT Mexican diving.

We are from Landlocked Hershey Pennsylvania. While the chocolate is plentiful and tasty, the diving is sparse and cold, so we like to go where the water is warm, the diving pristine, and the food is great. Maya Palms fit all those requirements. I'd have to say that our Maya Palms Vacation in August of 2007 was the best dive vacation we ever experienced. A five Star, divers paradise. We have dove in Cozumel, Caymens, Key West, Key Largo, and Bahamas and this area surpasses all those put together. The diving is well worth the drive from Cancun.

On a previous vacation we visited Mahahual, Mexico while on a cruise and scheduled a dive through the cruise ship company. This was a big mistake as the diving company the cruise line used near Mahahaul (name withheld to protect the guilty) was a bad experience. Overloaded dive boats, rushed dives and a cattle car feel. We definitely felt that safety was not one of their priorities. As a matter of fact just prior to our arriving in Maya Palms this "Other" dive company sank one of their dive boats because it was overloaded. I guess there were too many overweight buffet consuming cruisers. However once we were in the water we entered the best reefs we have ever seen. We vowed to return to Mahahual area if we could find a good dive resort.

Upon returning home my wife did an internet search and found "Maya Palms Resort". She called Doug and Catherine the owners (they also own Bonne Terre Mine near St. Louis) and found them to be informative, helpful and honest in answering her questions about the resort, transportation and diving facilities. So for our next vacation in August we were on our way to Maya Palms via Cancun, Mexico.

Upon arriving at Cancun we picked up our rental car and headed south toward Maya Palms. On the way we stopped at Sam's Club and picked up a few snacks for our two ravenous teenagers for the 4 hr. trip to the Maya Palms Resort. The drive was fun and interesting as the road went from 4 lanes to (4 lanes with construction) to 2 lanes to (2 lanes with construction), the drive was pleasant and safe with lots of interesting sights to see along the way. Toward the end of our journey we turned off the highway onto a single lane road with jungle all around. We have driven in Mexico before to Chichen-Itza and other Mexican sites so the roads and sights were not a surprise to us. However upon reaching the sandy beach road at the coast, the area was not looking like the the resort area that we had pictured in our mind. (Doug and Catherine explained to us on the phone before the trip that they were in an isolated area.) A few times during our trip south the kids, Gregg (16) and Alyssa (13) said to mom "What did you reserve and where are you taking us." After a few miles on this beach road with all of us looking at each other with questionable looks we rounded a corner and there it was, beautiful "Maya Palms Resort."

We hopped out of the car and were met by Pedro with a big smile and three lovable dogs welcoming us to the Maya Palms. We were given the tour and were amazed at the lovely trees, vegetation, palapas, and a concrete pyramid. The rooms were charming and very clean and there was even a large fresh water pool for swimming. After unpacking, Pedro came out with a welcome drink and some gourmet snacks. On the way down the kids were wondering if there were going to be other kids at the resort hoping to meet some new friends. We asked Pedro how many other guests were staying at the resort, he said we were the only ones scheduled for that week as this was the slow August season. You could see the look of "Were the only ones" on the faces of our kids. However after a few hours they made friends with the three dogs, Barney, Nemo, and Chaparro and were excited that we were the only guest at the resort and had the place to ourselves.

Pedro asked us on arrival what we liked to eat. We said we like anything and his eyes lit up. "Do you like gourmet?" We said we sure do. He was delighted as his guests of the previous week were hamburger and hotdog folks and he was ready to get back to real gourmet cooking.

Our first night was was wonderful as Pedro cooked us a gourmet meal. My wife is a wonderful cook, she was amazed at the quality, presentation, and taste of the meals coming out of the kitchen day after day in this remote place. After days of talking with Pedro about recipes, getting a tour of the kitchen we found out that Pedro and Rodrigo were professionally trained culinary chefs from Mexico City. Still she was amazed at the freshness, quality, and variety of the meals.

The next day we met Ken and Kenny, both boat captains and dive masters. Ken ran the boat most days and Kenny spent the week diving with us and taking pictures of us and the sea life with his new camera. The diving is the best we've encountered. Pedro gave us ginger to eat before our dives to keep our stomachs happy while Ken and Kenny got the boat ready and our gear onboard.

The coral reefs are just a 5 to 10 minute boat ride away. Kenny showed us the way around many coral reefs, coral canyons and showed us marine life that we would have missed. We saw barrel coral so big you could almost swim in, sea fans so big you could hide behind them, sea turtles that swam in circles keeping an eye on us, nurse sharks resting in and around the coral reefs and marine life that was so abundant we were amazed each time we dove. This is pristine diving with not a piece of dead coral to be found. Upon surfacing Ken had the boat a few swim strokes away and met us with pineapple spears to help get the saltwater taste out of our mouths.

Upon returning to shore we rinsed off at the outside showers and headed to the freshwater pool while Pedro prepared a gourmet lunch. Lunch was followed by a "siesta" by the pool. Around 2 or 3 o'clock we were ready to go back out for our second dive of the day. My wife especially liked this relaxed routine as it was a big change from some of the other dive excursions we've been on. Ken and Kenny made us feel relaxed and we were really able to enjoy our diving experience to its fullest.

After our second dive we came back and swam some more in the fresh water pool, my wife and I walked the beach while the kids played with the dogs, used the kayaks or just had fun on the beach. After Pedro's wonderful evening meal the kids talked to their friends on the internet while my wife and I read a book in the hammock while listening to some Jimmy Buffet from their Satellite Radio. This was repeated night after night forgetting about the rest of the world.

During the latter part of our stay I was keeping an eye on the weather and was watching a low depression build in the Atlantic. This low developed into a hurricane marching it's way toward the Yucatan Peninsula. It's name was Dean. We had planned on 10 dives and asked our kids if they wanted to go into town or do something else during a planned "down day." Both kids said they wanted to stay at Maya Palms and do two more dives. So we finished up the week with 12 wonderful dives.

The morning of our departure our car was packed with luggage and the car doors open to let out the heat of sitting for a week. I started the car with the air-conditioner running to help cool the car so we were just minutes from heading north. While the kids and my wife were all saying their goodbyes and good lucks I was checking our rooms one last time for any remaining leftover items. Coming out of the room I heard "slam", "slam", "slam, "slam. It was my daughters good intentions of closing the car doors because she saw the air-conditioner running and wondered why the car doors were open. Yep you guessed it. All the doors were now locked with the car running and the nearest locksmith was 4 hours away. BIG problem because our flight left in 6 hours and we still had a 4 hour drive to the airport and a Hurricane Dean bearing down on us.

While I was not amused and showing it, Ken kept calm and retrieved a piece of metal from his tool box that at one time probably was a metal coat hanger. After working for about 5 minutes "click" up popped the lock. I asked Kenny and Pedro if they ever did a background check on Ken before they hired him. This was really a full service resort. We all had a good laugh said our goodbyes and vowed to return soon.

Two days later Hurricane Dean slammed dead center into Mahahaul and decimated the cruise ship pier, the small town of Mahahaul and the Yucatan Peninsula. Ken, Kenny and Pedro weathered out the category 5 hurricane in the large concrete pyramid. They said it was scary, a very good understatement. It took about 2 weeks for them to get word out that Maya Palms received substantial damage but they were OK and were already cleaning up and starting to rebuild.

We feel the Costa Maya Riviera region is a divers paradise. Doug & Catherine really take pride in their Maya Palms resort and the friendly competent staff of Ken, Kenny, Pedro and Rodrigo really make you feel like family and want your stay and dive experience to be the best it can be. The rental equipment is excellent and safety is a priority. I would recommend Maya Palms to any potential diver or diver of any level or just to couples of families that just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist areas.

Since the Hurricane of August 2007 we've read and heard they have been working hard to repair the damage and the resort is up and running with re-planted vegetation and looking great. The reviews of others have been terrific this year. We plan on returning in August to this gem of Costa Maya.

Maya Palms website is: Costa Maya Scuba Diving and Snorkel in Mahahual, Mexico: Maya Palms Resort

Attachments

• DSCN0708.jpg
    DSCN0708.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0728.jpg
    DSCN0728.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0755.jpg
    DSCN0755.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0762.jpg
    DSCN0762.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0776.jpg
    DSCN0776.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 105
  • P8100090.jpg
    P8100090.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 95
  • P8100099.jpg
    P8100099.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 83
  • P8150029.jpg
    P8150029.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 96
  • P8150037.jpg
    P8150037.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 88
  • spnge.jpg
    spnge.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 74
This has got to be the most complete trip report I have ever read. Thankyou. I have been thinking about this part of the Yucatan for a couple years now. Maybe it's time to take the plunge. Some place off the beaten track and no tourists or cattle boats.

If possible, more underwater pics please. Heck, more top-side, too. What the heck. Were you allowed to dive your own profile or was there a max bottom time?

Yes I kno. That's more than one question. I'll probably have more as time goes on.

Barry

One question for now. Is the diving drift diving? OK, so how's the shore diving?

I was about to book for the Maya palms resort for some diving, but I spent some time in Mahahual and talked to some of the locals.

They tell me that the Maya Palms resort is not owned by the Goergens, but that they just squat there and try to make money.

I, of course, could not believe this, but there were soooo many bad stories about the managers or Maya Palms, that I decided not to. This was a wise decision, since I later learned that Maya Palms has pretty much lost all the permits for operating a dive operation because of safety concerns found by the harbor master.

My advice is to pass by this "resort"., as it seems like a real tourist rip-off scheme, at least this is what the locals are all saying.

B

AH........you ran into the local hucksters http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/icons/icon_cry.gif

We ran into the same local huckster info when we went to Mahahual the first time in 2006 where we discovered Costa Maya reef diving during a cruise stop. Also on a stop into Mahahual in 2007 on our way to Maya Palms the local hucksters tried to tell us how bad Maya Palms was and that we should use Dreamtime Divers instead.

The funny thing is that we told them on our stop in 2007 that we had already dived the previous year through the cruise ship with Dreamtime divers. The conversation abruptly halted with a look of surprise and a quick exit. Dreamtime Divers was anything but. Overcrowded boats, rushed atmosphere, expensive, and no personal attention. Mostly run by college age kids and transients from everywhere. There must have been 30 people on the dive boat, it was so crowded you had to take turns to get your gear on. My wife got sick because of the rough boat handling (we have a sailboat so she's used to boats) but it did bring more fish. Matter of fact right before we got there last year they sunk one of their dive boats because of overcrowding. Ask some of the real locals to show you the Dreamtime Wave (Hold your nose and wave with your other hand like the pope while bending your knees."

The local hucksters try to steer you away from Maya Palms and toward Dreamtime Divers because I hear they get kickbacks from Dreamtime. The local cab drivers steer you to Dreamtime Divers because it's 3/4 of a mile away and they can get right back to the pier for another fare. They don't like to go to Maya Palms because it's 8 miles away and the staff at Maya Palms know their "one way tricks." They drop you off, you pay the one way fare and they never come back for you. The staff at Maya Palms tells you when you call to not pay the cab driver until you have completed your round trip back to the cruise pier. That way you are assured the cab will be there promptly at the agreed upon time. If the cab fails to show up you have your money and Maya Palms will take you back in their van so you don't miss your cruise ship. Such is business in Mexico.

As you can see on my last post I did not identify company that my family and I had a bad experience with in 2006. I was hesitant about posting a negative report about Dreamtime Divers based upon one dive scheduled through a cruise ship. Part of the allure of the Mexican culture is the huckster, bartering, care free atmosphere and it's different from the states and that what makes it fun. However some of the local huckster info is making it's way onto dive forums and it's just not right. Some good dive outfits are getting bad reports because of this. There are fewer and fewer "locally run" dive resorts that really care about your diving experience and when you find one you want to put your good experiences out there so the good ones thrive and stay in the black and are around to come back to.

There are some old postings and rants about Maya Palms when it was owned by the previous owners about 5 years ago. The current owners bought the place and fired all the overstaffed, overfed, spoiled, non-working mexican employees. Some of the locals are still bitter, the local rant and web rant comes from that era.

I was hoping after the hurricane some of these so called "locals" would leave for better money making areas. However that seems not to be the case.

So Mexico being what it is, if you come by cruise ship or bus and want to do some great diving and have a great lunch. Go past all the tourist stalls and hucksters and go right to the cab area and tell them to go to Maya Palms Resort. Tell them you'll pay them when they pick you up at a specified time and deliver you back to this same spot. If they give you "the line" go to the next cab driver in line and do the same thing. You'll see a "revelation" in the first cab driver and you'll maybe even be able to barter a cheaper fare.

We have scheduled to do some diving at Maya Palms from Aug. 7th to Aug. 14th 2008. We'll give you an update when we get back.

Happy Diving.

Bob from Hershey PA

Mahahaul continues to be the most TROLL infested place I have ever seen. There are 3, yes, three count'em "Dive Masters" there that bad mouth each other to no end....both online and in person, they post here and in other boards about," how "someone" told them not to dive with......" and usually its the folks at Maya Palms who take it in the shorts, seems like one of the "DM"s was run off by MP some time ago over real or imagined drinking problem, loss of certification etc.

Dreamtime spent ALOT of $$$ getting favorable status with PADI and the Cruise lines and they are not only protecting their investment but they seem to hate it when anyone goes down the road the xtra 3 klicks to go to Maya Palms, unlike most other areas I think the "other" operators would let a diver drown if they were not "one of theirs" just so they could post Bad stuff about the operator....

Saying all that, Mahahual and Maya Palms have been a jewel too me and the reefs are splendid!!!

After the hurricane, the folks down there need to work together even more now,so the rest of us don't just say," Piss on em all !!" and go somewhere else!!!!

great trip report, thanks for all that detailed info!
i dived once down in mahahaul, i think it was 'the chimney', loved the dive sites, hated the operation (forget the name), dodgy boats, drunk dm's and general shady behaviour all round. we also trecked down to xcalak to dive off chinchorro banks but we were blown out.
glad to hear the reefs were not damaged after hurricane dean, i ll get down there in the coming low season and will dive with maya palms.

Hi, Bob,

I was searching for a place that a party of ten could spend near Mahahual diving.
When I logged on to Maya-palms.com, (note the hyphen), I was amazed at what I read.
Maya Palms is run by criminals! See for yourself, try the MAYA-PALMS.COM
website to see what the locals are saying.

Banito

Hi, Bob,

I was searching for a place that a party of ten could spend near Mahahual diving.
When I logged on to Maya-palms.com, (note the hyphen), I was amazed at what I read.
Maya Palms is run by criminals! See for yourself, try the MAYA-PALMS.COM
website to see what the locals are saying.

Banito

There is trouble for those who use Maya Palms, look at their arrest record.

Back
Top Bottom